COMAIR Academy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
More Detail

Well, I didn't say life was a bowl of cherries there either, did I? Anything worth having is worth working hard for. Did I enjoy giving up a $26/hr job to get $10/hr hobbs/groundwork only? Not particularly. Do you get paid better at FBOs? Usually twice what I make now, but a good friend of mine who went through most of the program, but bailed at CFI is finding it hard to get multi hours and an airline job the same time I got hired by Comair.

Scheduling is a pain, but since you're there full-time 141, expect to put in the hours. Now that the schedule is available via email, it makes planning a smigen easier. I don't think that'll get any better and I don't know if ERAU or FSI has any better system. I think the college programs do, though.

There haven't been any RG gear problems for over a year and a half since the mods were installed. We did have a couple a/c make safe flyoutable off field landings due to catastrophic failures of the engines....can't help it when a case comes apart! As I mentioned earlier, with fleet improvements, the RGs are being replaced with Arrows.

No fun flying there? Maybe sometimes...stage checks...FAA exams, but I made sure all my students' flights were fun...heck that's why we like this profession so much, isn't it? Just like anywhere else, it's what you make of it and how cool your instructor is. You can fire your instructor here just as easily as anywhere else. I know, I've been fired a couple times...I expect high standards from my students and they hear from me when I see 'em slacking! We strive to produce quality pilots/instructors...sometimes the boad of education hurts.

Staying Power: Yes, quite a few of my original Instrument classmates aren't instructing here today. Several "saw" greener pastures elsewhere, but ended up b1tching and moaning about the same things at "the other school." Some didn't have the skills and blew all their money early on. Some were there because ma & pa wanted them to and they just burned through family money. Those that really had the desire, the smarts, and staying power made it through the ringer and instructed.

Yes, I've seen a few not get hired by CAA or Comair, and have been dismayed, but for the most part, those that really want to make it....do.

Disclaimer: I'm a current CFI at large at CAA waiting for a CRJ ground school class date with the airline and found the program to be successful for ME. I encourage all applicants to take the tour, do the research and interviews and make that all important decision on your own. The program is challenging, a pain in the a$$ sometimes, very educational, and yes, fun, too. I've seen everybody from band teachers, cops, lawyers, H.S. graduates, Army helo pilots, and yes, the occasional Navy Nuke make it through this program.

Whatever your choice is, I wish you well in your endeavors!

Realism in flight schools

Most of my "career" was in 141 flight schools. ERAU-Prescott and FlightSafety-Vero, and a few months at Mesa. I interviewed at Comair eleven years ago, apparently before it stopped hiring instructors from the outside. The 152s were tired, even back then. I believe the place had operated for years as Airline Aviation Academy and Comair purchased the place, lock, stock and barrel.

I did not get a good impression of Comair when I interviewed, but, again, that was 1991. The Chief Instructor is now the Chief Instructor at FSI. I can tell you that I could take EMcx2's post almost verbatim and substitute FSI or Riddle and it would read the same. You're a student and you're treated well enough. Get a job at your school (and stop paying in money) and you and the rest are treated as so many flunkies.

One incident when I was an FSI instructor sticks out. I had been working there about three weeks and was assigned a student who came there to train under Part 61. He had his Private and was going to go into Seminoles. So, I put in for a Seminole for him and took my days off. I called in for my schedule and was told this activity had not been scheduled. So, I scheduled it myself and called the student, who told me I was no longer his instructor. I asked one of the Assistant Chief Pilots what gives. He said that because I was "new" to FSI that he unilaterally reassigned this student because I might not be able to "handle" him! This particular Assistant Chief Pilot had conducted much of my interview and was familiar with my background of being an experienced instructor with a good record of handling students. I asked him why he didn't call me at home; he said he didn't want to bother me. Given the circumstances, I felt this was very inconsiderate. I recall that this was my only activity of the day. I could not schedule other activities, so I lost income and came in for nothing.

All 141 schools put instructors through some kind of standardization and 141 check ride. The standardizaton is really to your benefit, even if you were a student there. I had great standardization at ERAU. I benefited greatly from it. My stan identified many weak points I had in my background, which was Part 61 training by instructors who owned their own airplanes. I came up to speed quickly, but put in a ton of time studying to acquire the book learning that my colleagues and students had. I wish now that I had that kind of standardized training when I was learning how to fly. Perhaps that's another reason why I come out so strongly in favor of 141 schools.

Much of the process is a test of your ability to endure. You learn much more at a school than how to fly and teach.

Last edited:
Amen! Well stated, Bobby. Pretty much ditto all that at CAA. Once people choose a program, they should stick to it and ride it out for all it's worth, providing it's quality training. You're much more likely to be picked up at a flight school if you can show consistency and sticktoitiveness. Learning how to work well with others in a structured environment is paramount, too.

Another advantage 141 schools have is the networking you can get done there. Also, training aids and mx tours are invaluable, too.

In regards to Hovernut's posts and not being loquacious: Here Here!, Ditto!, What He Said!...
My experiences have come very close to his experiences (except the coveted next job in the CL-65). The experience is what you make of it. Also want to note that I came in under what Comair quoted as a price. Short comings in the training are usually self-induced (this is what makes the training go up in price). Can't say enough about doing whatever it takes to succeed. Making excuses is a common denominator when it costs a lot of money to mess up. Save the excuses and use that energy to get ahead in whatever aspect of training you are in. Your wallet and stress level will thank you.

Going way back to the cfi laws of learning(I admit I dont remember) but one was something to do with the first thing we learn is what we remember- so basically try to avoid bad habits ect...

My point being is I have found this to be true -definitely not all the time- but people from a structured background like comair or military tend to be more standardized than someone from Bills flying club. ( bottom line is instruction is one on one so if you have a great teacher anything goes) However having the instituition in place and all of the resources is a benefit.
Furthermore if I were doing an interview I would probably be leaning towards the canidate who went to a known school- Thats what you always hear from recruiters about military- they are a known product vs in the 91 world where there are so many variations

Latest resources

Back