Colorado Leads

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
[/B]

No disrespect but biggest how? My 121 PIC checkrides were job checkrides. I know guys who busted an oral and were off line without pay until the recheck. I know a guy who was two revisions behind (even though his takeoff and destination were current) and was taken offline for a spanking without pay for a few days. Ever have a Fed on a corporate jumpseat? Guaranteed it would freak most 91 pilots out (Heeeeeey!!;)). To a 121 pilot, a normal day at the office.
I loved my 121 training and background. Notice the past tense! I love the 91 world but much easier to go from strict to more "relaxed" in my book.
Having done my share of checkrides in both worlds I find a professional 91 checkride the most positive. But I had 7 years of ball busting prior...

Cheers- Rum

I meant lifestyle leap. Other than between takeoff and landing what did your 121 and 91 work environment share in common. Both have good and bad aspects but don't seem to share anything in common unless you are comparing frax and 121 and that is even a stretch to compare. It's not an insult to either to say they have little in common but to say 121 is held to a higher standard could be quite insulting to a 91 operator. I have had Fed's in my jumpseat during my 135 corporate days and it is nowhere near as stressful as a CEO without catering or a rental car.

[/B]

No disrespect but biggest how? My 121 PIC checkrides were job checkrides. I know guys who busted an oral and were off line without pay until the recheck. I know a guy who was two revisions behind (even though his takeoff and destination were current) and was taken offline for a spanking without pay for a few days. Ever have a Fed on a corporate jumpseat? Guaranteed it would freak most 91 pilots out (Heeeeeey!!;)). To a 121 pilot, a normal day at the office.
I loved my 121 training and background. Notice the past tense! I love the 91 world but much easier to go from strict to more "relaxed" in my book.
Having done my share of checkrides in both worlds I find a professional 91 checkride the most positive. But I had 7 years of ball busting prior...

Cheers- Rum

You're actually making the original point. All your talking about is the flying side of the job. Checkride this and Fed that - Blah Blah. The hardest thing for 121 guys to figure out when they get to corporate is that they are not being paid to fly (i.e. operate the machine), they are being paid for everything else. I love to fly. They pay me to wait. They pay me to be available when they want me to go regardless of what my wife had planned. They pay me for customer service. They pay me for not really having any "hard" days off even if I only fly five days a month. Airline guys are paid to fly and nothing else. They are job protected with contracts. They have sheduled days off and flexiblity in droping and swithing lines so they can do what they want. And for some reason many (not all) have a hard time transitioning corporate - probably because it is VERY different.

It goes way back

You're actually making the original point. All your talking about is the flying side of the job. Checkride this and Fed that - Blah Blah. The hardest thing for 121 guys to figure out when they get to corporate is that they are not being paid to fly (i.e. operate the machine), they are being paid for everything else. I love to fly. They pay me to wait. They pay me to be available when they want me to go regardless of what my wife had planned. They pay me for customer service. They pay me for not really having any "hard" days off even if I only fly five days a month. Airline guys are paid to fly and nothing else. They are job protected with contracts. They have sheduled days off and flexiblity in droping and swithing lines so they can do what they want. And for some reason many (not all) have a hard time transitioning corporate - probably because it is VERY different.
Great post. This divide goes way back to when corporate aviation was lumped in with sleazy chrater and freight dogs. Airline HR depts looked down on all non 121 ops and jobs were scarce. Airlines could pick the cream of the crop and the military provided that. Yes, airlines hired corp pilots but with airline start ups( Laker-PeoplesExp-etc) folding at a steady rate in the 60s,70s,80s they could hire their own. Typed, 121, ALPA pilots ready to work, who could blame them. This built a divide between 121 and 91 that is still there today. Some 121 guys are not or were not prepared for the job that ttflyer discribes, which is a great window to many 91 jobs.
My 2cents

Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to say.:rolleyes:
It wasn't directed at you. But it sounds like your CP thinks we non-121 pilots are unsafe and incapable of ever maintaining a 121 inspired set of standards.

Just like the 91 companies that automatically round-file resumes from airline guys, it's all bull$hit.

It wasn't directed at you. But it sounds like your CP thinks we non-121 pilots are unsafe and incapable of ever maintaining a 121 inspired set of standards.

Just like the 91 companies that automatically round-file resumes from airline guys, it's all bull$hit.
Agreed!
The only hiring a specific type of person shows a level ignorance.

I mean here are guys that are young and eager and have been trained to a higher standard.

Trained to a higher standard? Higher than who? The guy on the street. a NASA pilot? I think the interview process will go smoothly if you open with that line. "Sir, I think I should be hired, obviously with my 121 background, I have been trained to a higher standard than your current pilots".

Eager = Broke?

This has success written all over it

Sorry for the thread drift. If you read my intial post to the thread starter you will read that I mention customer service.
I treated my airline CRJ as a corporate bird, helping rampers with bags, putting away catering for my F.A. before he/she showed up, etc. Anything to get the flight out on time.
Ironically, I am now flying a corporate CRJ. Funny world aviation.

Cheers- Rum

Latest resources

Back