Color Vision "Letter of Evidence"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Slick

I recently read on the Virtual Flight Surgeon web site that "Letters of Evidence ("L.O.E.") that an airman can pass an alternative color vision test not readily available in your AME’s office are no longer being issued without passing a formal test at the local FSDO."

My "L.O.E." was issued in 2002. Is my 7 year old L.O.E. still valid or am I going to have to wrangle with the F.A.A. every time I apply for a new first class medical?

By reading the regs, (14 CFR 67.401) it appears as though the F.A.A. is no longer going to "ISSUE" Letters of Evidence as they have in the past, (read; without a bunch of time-consuming hurdles). My L.O.E. has already been "ISSUED". Is it still good, going forward? The regs don't seem to address the issue of EXISTING Letters of Evidence.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I go for a new medical next month and this makes me nervous.

Loe

Wondering this myself. Mine issued in July 2007.

Try to find a "keystone" test. I had no problem reading the numbers on this test and did not need my LOE this time.

To answer my own question,....apparently a previously issued L.O.E. is still valid. My A.M.E. took it without comment.

Not sure if this helps you but when I went through all this 15 years ago you could take the light gun signal test as many times as necessary until passed. Once you have passed it you get a waiver that is good forever. I understand now that you only have one chance to pass the light gun signal test. If you fail it you have to live with the restriction. Any other test you could take before the faa test would be preferable. Good luck

Latest resources

Back