Collins 6000 Pre Departure GPS Predictor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Winged Sig

Any one have a handle on the Collins 6000 FMS requirements to do a pre-departure GPS coverage prediction on routes using GPS (oceanic, RNAV1,2) if the aircraft is also equipped with 3 IRS's? Collins mentions in a publication that operators who have another source of long range navigation available and approved for the intended operation (e.g. IRS) are NOT required to use the Collins GPS predictor software for oceanic or remote areas, but required for RNAV 1 and RNAV 2 ops.

If I'm not mistaken oceanic routes, i.e. NAT, is RNP 5 and 10. Which is different from the RNAV 1 and 2. RNAV 1 is STAR's and SID's and 2 is Q and T Routes. As of July 1 is you do not have DME/DME/IRU or INS or a WAAS equipped aircraft then you must complete RAIM prediction for the enroute portion of flight. As Boiler said Fltplan.com and Universal will cover you in the states, but not sure if this applies to the NAT since that is RNP 5 and 10. That would need to meet other equipment requirements to operate oceanic with GPS only. There is also a website raimprediction.net by the FAA for enroute RAIM prediction or you can use you FMS RAIM prediction and plug in waypoints along your route of flight every 60 miles with an ETA to predict for your trip if the internet is not available.

Last edited:
If the box uses IRS input (which I can only assume it does) - then the Pre-departure Prediction is not required. The requirement is if you are conducting RNAV 1 or RNAV 2 operations with GPS as the the SOLE means of navigation. If you have a WAAS-capable GPS you are also excluded.

Frankie Says Relax

It's my understanding that if you have the IRS (IRU) that you do not need to do the FDE Checks. I have used the Collins FDE prediction tool and it was obviously developed by computer engineers for computer engineers. The process to update the database alone is multiple steps and visits to third party government websites to download .CSV files and then specify a path for them in the new program etc...

We have concluded that we will ask our handlers to run the FDE for us on oceanic flights, as they are the ones who will know what route they are going to file for us long before we do. The last thing we want is a reroute.

Domestically, this seems much ado about nothing. Unless you are filing an RNAV SD or STAR or are using an RNAV Waypoint enroute (like filing to a fix on a GPS approach) you do not need to even worry about this domestically, even if you were using GPS as a primary means of long range navigation.

Fltplan.com works great. But my question for the FAA is....Why make the pilot check the route for an IFR Fltplan? If you have to load it in your system and issue us a clearance, why can't your system exclude routes that would lack the necessary coverage? If you re-route us while we are taxiing out or enroute, how can we possibly be expected to run an FDE from the cockpit? Does that then open us up to questioning from the same FAA that gave us the re-route?

Seriously! ATC clears us on a route, why can't they check it?

Last edited:
You do NOT need to run the prediction program. You only need to if you are basing your crossing on GPS only. If you have dual IRS (or tripple in your case) (at least 2 working) then you can go without running it. The CL-300 for example needs to run it as it only has 2 GPS- No IRS. The Atlantic Orientation Chart side tab documents this as well.

Latest resources

Back