**college Paper On Flight Communication*

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Encouraging Students

I'd second that comment. Unless you are working with a true bonehead, most people can learn how to fly and be good pilots. Some people are naturals and pick it right up. Others need more time than others, but they will get there. Praise and encouragement are powerful tools, but must be used sparingly and with absolute sincerity.

Let me provide a flying and a non-flying example. While at ERAU I acquired a CFI student from another instructor. This instructor was very knowledgable, a tough and thorough stage check pilot, but very strict and precise. The student was a decent enough pilot. This instructor kept telling the student he was not CFI material. The student did fine with me, and I told him so. He passed his practical and instructed before going to a regional. He now flies (although a furloughee) for a major.

My non-flying example is my mom. She learned to drive later than most people. She was having trouble grasping the mechanics of a stick shift. Her first instructor told her she'd never learn how to drive. She changed instructors, got into an automatic, took a week's worth of lessons, and got her driver's license.

Hope that helps a little more with your paper.

Last edited:
Erica,

Even though I am long past being a boy and my wife is the only one who thinks of me as a stud, I do have a couple of stories.

An anecdotal one from the Army's flight training is where the instructor told a foreign student to raise his nose, the student responded by holding his head higher which did nothing for the aircraft attitude.

One I participated in myself involved my own Army flight training. I was flying a UH-1 and pointed out to my instructor in the left seat traffic at 10'oclock. He respnded "I have the aircraft" which I took to mean that he was taking controls. He meant "I see the aircraft you called out to me". The result was that both of us saw the aircraft at 10 o'clock but neither of us were flying the aircraft we were in.

Erica,

One of the worst air disasters of all time took place because of poor communication between the flight crew and control tower.

It took place in Tenerife on March 27, 1977. Two Boeing 747's collided on the runway due to poor phraseology and misunderstanding. A total of 583 passengers and crew lost their lives.

Link

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back