• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan votes in ALPA!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Serving the nation has taken on a whole new meaning and required a whole new level of risk and sacrifice—with hundreds of thousands of young Americans in uniform who have stepped forward to put their lives on the line for their country. These past few months I’ve met many of those men and women—in places likeFallujah and Tallil in Iraq andBagram and Forward Operating Base Tillman in Afghanistan—and at Walter Reed as well. Seeing what they do every day, and the spirit and good humor with which they do it, is an inspiration. The dangers they face, and the dangers our country faces, make it all the more important that this kind of service be honored, supported, and encouraged. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The ranks of these patriots include the graduates of William & Mary’s ROTC program, and the cadets in this Class of 2007, who I’d like to address directly. You could have chosen a different path—something easier, or safer, or better compensated—but you chose to serve. You have my deepest admiration and respect—as Secretary of Defense, but mostly as a fellow American. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You are part of a tradition of voluntary military service dating back to George Washington’s Continental Army. That tradition today includes General David McKiernan, William & Mary Class of 1972, who led the initial ground force in Iraq and now commands all Army troops in Europe. It also is a tradition not without profound loss and heartache. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Some of you may know the story of Ryan McGlothlin, William & Mary Class of 2001: a high school valedictorian, Phi Beta Kappa here, and Ph.D. candidate at Stanford. After being turned down by the Army for medical reasons, he persisted and joined the Marines and was deployed to Iraq in 2005. He was killed leading a platoon of riflemen near the Syrian border.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ryan’s story attractedmedia attention because of his academic credentials and family connections. That someone like him would consider the military surprised some people. When Ryan first told his parents about joining the Marines, they asked if there was some other way to contribute. He replied that the privileged of this country bore an equal responsibility to rise to its defense. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It is precisely during these trying times that America needs its best and brightest young people, from all walks of life, to step forward and commit to public service. Because while the obligations of citizenship in any democracy are considerable, they are even more profound, and more demanding, as citizens of a nation with America’s global challenges and responsibilities—and America’s values and aspirations.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]During the war of the American Revolution, Abigail Adams wrote the following to her son, John Quincy Adams: “These are times in which a genius would wish to live. It is not in the still calm of life, or the repose of a pacific station that great characters are formed. . . . Great necessities call out great virtues.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You graduate in a time of “great necessities.” Therein lies your challenge and your opportunity.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A final thought. As a nation, we have, over more than two centuries, made our share of mistakes. From time to time, we have strayed from our values; and, on occasion, we have become arrogant in our dealings with others. But we have always corrected our course. And that is why today, as throughout our history, this country remains the world’s most powerful force for good—the ultimate protector of what Vaclav Havel once called “civilization’s thin veneer.” A nation Abraham Lincoln described as mankind’s “last, best hope.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If, in the 21stcentury, America is to be a force for good in the world—for freedom, the rule of law, and the inherent value of each and every person; if America is to continue to be a beacon for all who are oppressed; if America is to exercise global leadership consistent with our better angels, then the most able and idealistic of your generation must step forward and accept the burden and the duty of public service. I promise you that you will also find joy and satisfaction and fulfillment.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I earlier quoted a letter from Abigail Adams to her son, John Quincy. I will close with a quote from a letter John Adams sent to one of their other sons, Thomas Boylston Adams. And he wrote:“Public business, my son, must always be done by somebody. It will be done by somebody or another. If wise men decline it, others will not; if honest men refuse it, others will not.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Will the wise and the honest among you come help us serve the American people?[/FONT]

I truly believe this is the start of the demise of ALPA. A new level of action, a new union, that can adapt and deal with todays style of management that can change certificates and alter ego airline formation.

ALPA, clueless for the last 50 years!
Personally, since ALPAs majority is regional pilots, I'd like a regional pilot to be the national president. Not some guy who has never flown for a regional, and does not have my best interest in mind.

Regionals do the majority of flying for the majors, it's about time we start calling the shots.

Maybe a real union, not a big business, will be formed that actually represents the regionals.

Conflict of intrest, disgusting presidential pay packages, sloth speed level action of issues. Nothing has changed at ALPA.

I truly believe this is the start of the demise of ALPA. A new level of action, a new union, that can adapt and deal with todays style of management that can change certificates and alter ego airline formation.

Maybe even indentify and work torwards the real reason that pilot unions can't actually have strength.

The RLA.

ALPA, clueless for the last 50 years!

Not that I agree with any of your premise but ALPA can do most of this and more if you want it to.

Sure ALPA can be more sensitive to issues regarding regionals especially since about half the membership and leadership work for one.
ALPA can reduce the "conflict of interest" between regionals and majors. I beleive they are on track to do both considering the scope subcommitte of the CBC.

ALPA can make the presidency a volunteer position. And ALPA can in fact open the can of worms that would be trying to change the RLA, may be easier now with the new administration though to try to change it without somehow making it worse for pilots.

About the only thing it probably cannot do is speed things up that have to go through some sort of government entity.

Maybe if ALPA is so clueless you can start helping out to make sure they aren't clueless anymore. But only if you get involved. What have you done to try to affect these changes in ALPA?

Personally, since ALPAs majority is regional pilots, I'd like a regional pilot to be the national president. Not some guy who has never flown for a regional, and does not have my best interest in mind.

Regionals do the majority of flying for the majors, it's about time we start calling the shots.

Certainly not out of the realm of possibility considering the demographics of the membership and the fact that already one of the national officers is an Eagle captain.

Last edited:
Certainly not out of the realm of possibility considering the demographics of the membership and the fact that already one of the national officers is an Eagle captain.
One guy doesn't cut it.
The President should be a regional pilot to represent the majority.
Prater, Worthless ....none of those guys in the Mustache Mafia have a friggin clue as to what living the regional life is like. They dont even remember what it's like flying the line from thier own carriers.

I really have to give you guys credit where it's deserved... this is absolutely the most intelligent thread I've read in a long time. :)

One guy doesn't cut it.
The President should be a regional pilot to represent the majority.
Prater, Worthless ....none of those guys in the Mustache Mafia have a friggin clue as to what living the regional life is like. They dont even remember what it's like flying the line from thier own carriers.

Where do you get that contract pilots are the majority? Fee for departure carrier pilots are about 20% of ALPA's pilots. Likewise, the new Delta is also about 20% of ALPA' pilots.

IMO, the President of ALPA should be the one who is the most qualified regardless of where they work.

Simply, not true.

Excellent opportunity for Colgan pilots to build career skills that major airline recruiters look for...

Many of the pilots that left my regional were ALPA volunteers. No they didn't wave the ALPA flag at the interview or put union on their resume/application.

However, when you do professional volunteer work it teaches you how to work with others and matures your skillset... Simply put, it is noticeable when you present yourself.

Sure some guys just have the knack, and can turn on the charm in the interview, but why not get in on the new committee structure from the ground up, help your fellow pilots and the ones that will be Colgan pilots, while you help yourself become more marketable to a major... if that is what you desire....

Good luck guys... the support and resources are there, you just need to take the lead....

Yes, they did. That is simply not true. I could go on and on with examples. Yes, they did. You would have not said it, if they had not done it. I am starting to see a pattern. Not all....but it is ugly. Self-serving is an understatement. I am very disappointed with what I have uncovered. Yes...they did. Yes...they are. Yes...they will. So disappointed in this organization. Almost corrupt, if I did not know better. Please, help me to believe in a better world.

Then don't you think regional pilots should start voting and attending LEC meetings. If they continue to not do so, are they closer or further away from calling the shots..

If a regional pilot becomes ALPA president should he get the blend of top major airline pilot pay or a blind of top regional pilot pay?

Because if a regional pilot becomes ALPA president and get top blend major pilot pay then, he will instantly be able to be characterized as "out of touch" and now he only cares about keeping his "pay compensation" and not caring about regional pilots..

Interested in your reply....

Yes, they did. That is simply not true. I could go on and on with examples. Yes, they did. You would have not said it, if they had not done it. I am starting to see a pattern. Not all....but it is ugly. Self-serving is an understatement. I am very disappointed with what I have uncovered. Yes...they did. Yes...they are. Yes...they will. So disappointed in this organization. Almost corrupt, if I did not know better. Please, help me to believe in a better world.

What exactly do you think you've "uncovered?"

What exactly do you think you've "uncovered?"

Shut your mouth.

I saw you in your oversized uniform, looking like a little kid from Fisher Price Products the other day.

You know exactly what I'm talking about. How else would you have.....

Keep it up. Cue: scary music...........

Happy Holidays

Latest resources

Back