• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rez O. Lewshun

Save the Profession
Fellow Pilots,

This months Feb ALPA issue discusses the criminalization of pilots. Recently in Japan a captain was finally vindicated from murder charges. The crime? During turbulance an FA was killed.

A pilot with Japan Airlines (JAL) has been accused of negligence for a 1997 incident that caused the death of a JAL flight attendant.​

Police sent papers to prosecutors on 9 March accusing the captain of erroneously manoeuvring an 8 June 1997 flight over Mie Prefecture and causing the aircraft to jolt. The in-flight incident resulted in injury to seven crew members and six passengers, with one of the flight attendants later dying of multiple organ failure in February 1999. The papers also claim that the 50-year-old captain is responsible for the flight attendant's death, Kyodo News reported.​

"That won't happen to me" logic doesn't work for rape victims and it won't work for us either..

In addition, even if it doesn't happen to us, we don't want the precedent set that anywhere is the world it is satisifactory to place a Pilot on trial for conducting flight duties. What kind of respect would we receive if the public and our supervisors know we can be instantly turned into criminals.

The Brazil incident is also very disturbing. These guys are guilty until proven innocent and were held without cause. I am guessing that most Colgan and Skywest Pilots would like the option to fly bigger equipment for more pay...this might require working at another carrier.

Bigger aircraft means international routes. Sure we are American pilots with a leading justice system. But these guys were in Brazil. Be the PIC during an accident overseas and you may be placed in thier prison and justice system. Are you preapred to go to jail? The Brazil guys are facing 12 years imprisionment. ALPA was party to getting them released from house arrest and returned to the USA. They are furloughed ALPA pilots.

There are 19 cases of pilots criminalized cited in the article. Many of which included convictions and jail time.

Also in the Feb magazine an Air Line Pilot tested "positve" for a drug test. It was incorrect and pilot got her job back. The Medical Review Officer (management) had the evidence and authority to reverse the test results but was afraid to do her job properly. Or do the right thing. Colgan and Skywest pilots do you have the resources, experience and MONEY to handle a false positive that will surely end your current employment and any hopes of futrue employment (ie your career)? Again, "it won't happen to me" doesn't work.

Finally on page 21 the ALPA secuirty committee has provided a checklist for overnight (hotel) security. You may be surprised there are a lot of issues with hotel security. Fired employees keep room key access and attack, rape and kill people when they enter thier rooms. And pilots, rape is a power crime so it doesn't matter if you are male or female to the aggressor.

Fellow pilots: consider sharing this hotel security info with your FA's.

Last edited:
Why always the focus on SkyWest? I never read any plea to pilots at Southwest, Frontier, Airtran, JetBlue, Allegiant, etc...

Not trying to put words in Rez's mouth, but maybe it's because the SKYW guys are in the middle of a union drive? Not sure about Colgan, however.

Just out of curiousity why did Horizon pilots elect Teamsters over ALPA for representation?

Just out of curiousity why did Horizon pilots elect Teamsters over ALPA for representation?
Because Teamsters aren't affraid to break some knee caps when it's needed.

Maybe if some airline management were roughed up once in a while, these pay cuts would stop. Maybe someone should start off with a certain CEO in Phoenix.

Also in the Feb magazine an Air Line Pilot tested "positve" for a drug test. It was incorrect and pilot got her job back.

Well Rez, after sticking by a close friend through his ordeal (False Positive) for over a year, he still got the ax. The sad part was, as I listened to the details unfolding on a daily basis with my jaw agape, he was describing to me how his ALPA lawyer told him from the get go that ALPA did not have the time, money, nor resources to assist him - He was going to be terminated regardless, the ALPA attorney told him. In the end, it was the COMPANY which offered the option of a resignation to save the pilots career. My friend was dumbfounded that the ALPA attorney didn't even suggest pursuing a resignation until the COMPANY offerred it. This incident leads me to believe that there are many other untold stories where ALPA quietly turned away pilots, in the mean time focusing their resources on High Visibility incidents such as this South American ordeal. I think it's great that ALPA helped THEM, but how about the others?

Well Rez, after sticking by a close friend through his ordeal (False Positive) for over a year, he still got the ax. The sad part was, as I listened to the details unfolding on a daily basis with my jaw agape, he was describing to me how his ALPA lawyer told him from the get go that ALPA did not have the time, money, nor resources to assist him - He was going to be terminated regardless, the ALPA attorney told him. In the end, it was the COMPANY which offered the option of a resignation to save the pilots career. My friend was dumbfounded that the ALPA attorney didn't even suggest pursuing a resignation until the COMPANY offerred it. This incident leads me to believe that there are many other untold stories where ALPA quietly turned away pilots, in the mean time focusing their resources on High Visibility incidents such as this South American ordeal. I think it's great that ALPA helped THEM, but how about the others?

I don't have all the answers...or the other side to your story...

When I was representing pilots I'd get thier side of the story... And it sounded pretty well in thier favor...then I'd ask...is there anything else I need to know... And they'd insist there was nothing... Then I'd call the Chief Pilot and the other unfavorable details would come falling out.........

I will tell you the ALPA is an oganization made up of people and just like the church and gov't...people don't always do the best or even the right thing....

But representation and protecting ones rights are fundamental in this country...

I don't have all the answers...or the other side to your story...

Rez, Whats going on with the two TSA guys who were fired during the GoJet push? Whats the full story on why they were fired? And why hasn't ALPA gotten thier jobs back yet? From what I understand, those two are getting thier annual salary from ALPA national.
Why is it taking 2-3 years to get thier jobs back? You would think National would want them off the pay roll. And what makes these two so special, they're getting paid by ALPA?
I ask you, because PCL-128 does nothing but tap dance around the issue. Maybe you have more insight.
Thanks.

Sorry, was answered in another thread.

Latest resources

Back