• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan Saab in ditch at IAD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Poor 311. A few years ago, a baggage cart or some ground equipment ran into the flap trailing edge, putting it out-of-service for a couple weeks. Someone done messed up bad this time though! (I wonder about taxi speed, Saab mating call switch position and general night conditions.)

(Yes- 196CJ was a DOG! Derivative engine queen and BAD ACMs- I remember that. Please tell me she's got cooler engines and ACMs nowadays!)

Last edited:
Poor 311. A few years ago, a baggage cart or some ground equipment ran into the flap trailing edge, putting it out-of-service for a couple weeks. Someone done messed up bad this time though. (Saab mating call switch in OFF position and high taxi speed?)

(196CJ was a DOG! Derivative engine queen and BAD ACMs- I remember that. Please tell me she's got cooler engines and ACMs nowadays!)

Can't remember if the ACMs are any better on 196, but most of the UEX birds have MUCH better A/C. There are a couple "Captain America's" that were terrible on the ground and it was an MEL tail-chase all summer this year between auto-controllers, PACKS, recirc fans, etc...196's claim to fame was a chronic rudder boost anomaly that was a royal pain in the butt...

Mx doesn't have checklists from what I can tell. I picked up a plane the other day with the power levers at flight idle, pressurization to dump and nose steering on. I've had them with power levers in reverse, gens off, ignition off. basically, every time i get on a plane from mx. i check every switch. a very diff culture in that department.

HAHA! Thanks for the laugh!

De nada! I miss scaring particularly lazy rampers with that thing!

...Sure, go ahead, guys... please take the requisite 15 minutes to do the following: look at the Saab waiting to park...congregate...think about grabbing wands...find wands from another gate...shuffle back into position...begin marshaling awaiting aircraft...aircraft begins to taxi again...aircraft stops midway for misplaced orange cone...crew points over and over again at wayward cone...rampers look at each other...rampers draw straws for who has to remove cone...cone is removed...marshaling re-commences...aircraft parks at last. Hope same unsuspecting rampers work outbound flight and need to walk around the radome- the angry Saab mating call will surprise the bejesus out of them!! Everytime...

Latest resources

Back