Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan Q400 Drivers....What's the Latest Info?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's still in place, but I think the all pilot groups are seeing that the sword cuts both ways ... There were a lot of relatively junior CJC pilots that would upgrade on the Saab, then transition to the Q400 as a CA because they met the staffing #s inside of the fence (on the CJC side). Now, that there's the CJC wind-down and furloughs happening, some of these very pilots have the most to lose in the pilot group. There will be many current CJC CAs that will be fenced out of the CRJ left seat for some time to come. "Live and die by the sword," as they say...

Curious if JFK has become more senior over time. How does it compare to DTW? Are the lines the same in JFK and DTW on the -200? Thanks.

Last I checked It's close to about the same. There's more flying in DTW so you can probably build a much better line if you were in DTW. I think DTW has more productive trips.

Just a note to all you Colgan pilots-Flying out of MSP blows. We have bad winters, its a super senior base, and unless you are super senior you will be on reserve all the time. If you are on reserve the only given is ready reserve. Read the contract and see what that is all about. they have three shifts of ready reserve with up to 2 pilots per seat, per shift. So even if you are a senior reserve-you will be sitting ready.
What you did there, I see ;)

Last I checked It's close to about the same. There's more flying in DTW so you can probably build a much better line if you were in DTW. I think DTW has more productive trips.

Not very productive when you are trying to cover so much former Saab flying and many of the overnights are built as CDO's. JFK is the best bet and the most junior base as well.

All you guys who are talking about which bases are the best are leaving out the most valuable information: Republic is a great place to work, and I'm sure they'd just love to hire qualified Q pilots!

I am assuming that is where the FO's are going. But what about the captains? Some of them may be able to hold a captain spot with their seniority gains in the SLI. Not to mention I am assuming that 900 FO would not be that much of a pay cut from the old Saab captain pay they were getting before the merger. In 4 years there will be no fences for the block award so if they do not leave before then they can start using that seniority. I and many 01-04 mesaba pilots are planning on leaving well before that happens. reserve for 9 years at mesaba has been less than ideal. Good luck to all

I am assuming that is where the FO's are going. But what about the captains? Some of them may be able to hold a captain spot with their seniority gains in the SLI. Not to mention I am assuming that 900 FO would not be that much of a pay cut from the old Saab captain pay they were getting before the merger. In 4 years there will be no fences for the block award so if they do not leave before then they can start using that seniority. I and many 01-04 mesaba pilots are planning on leaving well before that happens. reserve for 9 years at mesaba has been less than ideal. Good luck to all

Just curious xjhawak, since I like your opinions.

Current stance is that when ATL closes starting January, no ATL 900 CA can displace an XJ 900 CA.

My thoughts are that the ATL 900 CA's will flush out about 1/3 of the MEM CA 200 list, with the displacements going most likely to DTW and/or JFK.

This may or may not push you out the bottom of the CA list?

Now, the big question is, if this precedent is set, and they remove 200's next year or the next, you will most certainly be pushed out of your 200 CA seat by the fences.

Just wondering what "legacy XJ" guys on the 200 are thinking about this?

Most are thinking (the ones from MSP area) that they would rather take 900 FO position in MSP than commute to a reserve CA position in DTW or JFK. The fences are protecting the most valuable of XJ pilots (the most senior who we all bow too) so they do not have to worry about much for 4 more years. They get 100/279 CRJ 200/900 positions and until we start losing crj 200's because of the Delta TA, all those are protected. From what I understand there is not language in the Block decision concerning the loss of planes. When that happens we all better hope that Delta decides to give us some of those 70, CRJ 900's in the Delta TA. Delta must go from approximately 350 CRJ's to 125. How many do we have? 140?

So I am thinking that 900 FO is better than a commute to anywhere (because of a family situation) but before I was thinking like the rest, I would have commuted to JFK or DTW to a line, not a reserve captain. When all those colgan Q captains get displaced, I am sure they will go to the JFK positions on the 200 so anyone at XJ who was not in group 1 or high in group 2, those Q guys will be senior to them. I am sure it is the same for the 9E pilots.

Personally, I am going to leave as soon as I can. That being said-almost anything could come out of this Delta TA and our bankruptcy. Delta controls everything. But everyone must look at their seniority and the possibility of 9E losing a lot of CRj 200's. If we lose 1/2, where will you be sitting? If we lose 1/2, but get some 900's in return-it hurts a little less. But I ask you this, if we lose half, then we keep 70 crjs and guess what? That is more than 1/2 of the TOTAL number of CRJ 200's Delta can have in the system. That scenario is unlikely. What I do not know is where all the other 50 seat aircraft are in the delta system and when their ASA is due and when their leases are up if they are owned by delta. I think that is the key.

Skywest just was pre approved for financing for a major order from Bombardier-I bet if someone ran the numbers they could figure out how many crj 900's that equals. But will it be for just the delta system? who knows

Latest resources

Back