Colgan PFT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Batfish

Before I start, I didn't do it so don't get mad at me:D I got some inside info the other day that Colgan is trying to do PFT for the right seat in the 1900. Not a trainging bond or contract just bend over and pay $18,000 yes $18,000 for your 1900d training. Ouch that one feels like a swift kick to the groin to all of the desperate pilots out there that really want to move on with their careers. If they actually do it I guess you can put them in the Gulfstream, Air Vegas pile. Thought the word should be heard. Batfish

You got some inside news huh... Your inside news has been public information for a week now. Do a search next time to see if the word has already been heard.

And it's the Saab.. Not the 1900

Last edited:
I would think you could buy a type for less than that. I don't know the true cost, but someone told me today that the price is 16K for the training, and another 2700 if you want the type. Again, I don't know it this is accurate or not.

program

Well here is how the pricing went.

First RAA in Deland Florida was offiered the program at $16,000.00

Then another flight school at the sanford airport offiered it to their instructors for $18,000.00

Then that same flight school at sanford offiered to the student's for $24,000.00.............. man talk about bending over your student base and putting it to them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :cool:

Last edited:
Batfish said:
I got some inside info the other day that Colgan is trying to do PFT for the right seat in the 1900. Not a trainging bond or contract just bend over and pay $18,000 yes $18,000 for your 1900d training. Ouch that one feels like a swift kick to the groin to all of the desperate pilots out there that really want to move on with their careers.

Anybody that pays that kind of money for that job is a fool.

"Dispicable. Are you guys thinking about unionizing at all?"

Please correct me if I'm wrong but a union would have little or nothing to do with wheather the company want new hires to PFT or not.

The only example that I know of where a union was involved in PFT was years back at Allegheny (and it may have been prior to the Penn/Suburban merger on the Suburban side) that the company asked the pilots to vote on it (PFT) and they said no.

Another piont is that I guess a union could negotiate that in a contract that they don't want PFT but like in any contract negotiation you have to give something to get something. So the pilot group would have to give something up like pay or work rules to get no PFT. I think this is highly unlikely that a pilot group would give anything up in their contract to someone thats not even hired there yet, know what I mean jelly bean.

Its very unfortunate that PFT is reeling it ugly head again but don't point a finger at the existing pilot group, they really have no say in what management does in ref. to hiring.

PFT is NOT the way to go. If someone really wants to fly that bad then they ought wait it out and pay their dues like the rest of us. By going the PFT route they are really selling themselves short and lining the pockets of someone else. They should ask themselves, "what do I get in return?" A uniform. Ha, thats one expensive piece of polyester!

My suggestion for somebody thinking of PFT is Keep flight instructing til you have 135 mimimums and then fly checks or boxes around for 6-8 months. Believe it or not, there are many reputable 135 operations out there hiring pilots. Remember that 135 minimums have no multi engine hour requirements.

In the long run you will thank yourself for and be proud of that airline job you earned. You will also be a much more competent and confident pilot than the kid that just graduated UND and can't think on their own in the cockpit. Belive me, HR departments know this too. Being a freight dog was the best thing I've done in my career!

LearLove said:
"Dispicable. Are you guys thinking about unionizing at all?"

Please correct me if I'm wrong but a union would have little or nothing to do with wheather the company want new hires to PFT or not.

The only example that I know of where a union was involved in PFT was years back at Allegheny (and it may have been prior to the Penn/Suburban merger on the Suburban side) that the company asked the pilots to vote on it (PFT) and they said no.

Another piont is that I guess a union could negotiate that in a contract that they don't want PFT but like in any contract negotiation you have to give something to get something. So the pilot group would have to give something up like pay or work rules to get no PFT. I think this is highly unlikely that a pilot group would give anything up in their contract to someone thats not even hired there yet, know what I mean jelly bean.

Its very unfortunate that PFT is reeling it ugly head again but don't point a finger at the existing pilot group, they really have no say in what management does in ref. to hiring.

I see what your saying about giving something up. Heck it might even be a way for all the Captains to get extra pay for being checkairmen! But the pilot group can stop it if they really wanted. At COEX we will have it in our new contract that the company can not "charge" for training.

Latest resources

Back