Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Godfather

Vayo Con Dios Ben Hickin...

Just got the word that former Colgan Air Captain Ben Hickin took his final ride westbound last night on February 23. Ben was killed in a plane crash on Feb 23 near SHD (Shenandoah Valley Airport) in Virginia.

Ben was an awesome guy and great friend. He leaves behind his wife and 5 children. Ben left Colgan this past summer to work at Gemini Air Cargo. Ben worked at Colgan from 2000 and was a Saab Captain based in Manassas.

A memorial family fund has been established for Ben's family.

You can send your donations to:

Ben Hickin Memorial Family Fund
c/o Captain Travis Simmons
237 Berry Farm Road
Staunton, VA 24401

make checks payable to Travis Simmons. Dupont Community Credit Union will handle the account. Electronic Deposit Funds Transfers will not be set up on this fund. The money saved on the EFT fees can be used for the fund or what ever the donor wishes. Travis, A Colgan Saab Captain is one of Ben's best friends and can be trusted to handle the account.

The Memorial Service will be held on Sunday Feb 26 at 5:00 PM at the Community Fellowship Church in downtown Staunton, VA. The family will have a private burial on Monday

So long bro, you will be missed, now fly west

Last edited:
Ben and I worked together briefly at Colgan. We did our type ride orals together, and went though IOE at the same time. I'm really bummed to hear the news. First Scott, now Ben.

Article published Feb 24, 2006
Plane crashes along I-81; 1 dead
By Brad Zinn/staff

MOUNT SIDNEY — A small airplane clipped a high-tension line and crashed along Interstate 81 about 11:15 p.m. Thursday, killing the occupant.

Augusta County Sheriff's Sgt. W.M. Fulton said the plane landed along the highway north of Va. 775 near the 232 mile marker after striking a northbound truck. Electricity was out in parts of the immediate area, and lights flickered as far away as Staunton.

Fulton had no information on the identity of the person who died, nor did he know where the plane was headed. Only one person was believed to have been aboard.

The crash scene was approximately 2 miles southwest of Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport. An airport spokesman said he doesn't believe any aircraft based at the airport were involved, but reports were still sketchy shortly before 1:30 a.m. today. Executive Director Greg Campbell said he was still waiting to get information on the crash from state police, who are handling the investigation.

The FAA regional office in New York did not immediately return phone calls. A marking on a crumpled wing identified the plane as a Cessna, a brand of high-wing aircraft common in private aviation.

Trucker Scott Mitchell was hauling cars sold on eBay north to Baltimore and New Jersey when he saw the plane's lights in his rearview mirror. The plane took out the window in a '56 Chevrolet he was carrying and sprayed hydraulic fluid over the cars.

"By the time I got out of the truck, it was a ball of flame," Mitchell said.
Trucker Gary Nasemore was at the Mount Sidney rest area when he saw the plane circle at tree-top level three times.

"And then the fourth one he took off and came up north," Nasemore said. "That's when the power flickered and went out in the rest area."

Grottoes firefighters and Dominion Virginia Power officials were on Va. 775 after the wreck examining the downed high-tension wire, which was laying across the road. The static wire carried no electricity, but came down across live wires and showered down sparks, firefighters said.
— Staff writers David Fritz and Jennie Coughlin contributed to this report

It's terrible news. I just found out. Ben got me the job here at Colgan. Brought my resume in and wouldn't leave the office till I was hired. He taught me the ropes and was a great mentor. I had the chance to fly with him a little bit in the plane I was flying at the time, and he was just a cool dude. Great pilot too. The whole things a tragedy. Leaving a big family behind. I'm just stunned. I beg anybody out there with something negative to say just save it for another day. Now's not the time for it.

No matter who you fly for or why you chose to fly Ben was the kind of guy you enjoyed flying with all the time. He was just a good guy.
Ride the sky Ben, you're missed already.

I've known Ben since he was a little airport rat, begging rides. I'm stunned and will miss him. Keep Marli and the kids in your prayers...

Latest resources

Back