Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on guys, don't defend too vehemently here. They were flying a very modern airliner, in a multi-crew environment. Is there no cross-checking there, to verify you are indeed lined up for the correct runway, at the correct airport? Sure, we all make mistakes on every flight, but you have to admit, with current technologies and procedures in place, this just shouldn't happen.

Box

>>> Is there no cross-checking there, to verify you are indeed lined up for the correct runway, at the correct airport? <<<

I'm sure there's wording like this at most carriers but I'll say it anyway. One thing I took to heart in my training at TWA was: "On every approach and landing you will use all electronic aids available to you". That means that even on a visual approach (Cleared for the visual to RWY XXX) you brief the approach, tune and identify the radios. Use the ILS, LOC or whatever procedure is available with that runway.

If you fly this way every time it would make it real obvious when you're lined up with the wrong runway (or worse) the wrong airport.

# November 3, 1986 - An Air France 727, bound for Eliat, Israel (ETH), mistakenly lands at Aqaba Airport (AQJ) in Jordan. Link. See also "Sorry, Wrong Airport," Associated Press, November 3, 1986.

Boy, you know that one had to cause a stink and a half.

..September 5, 1995 - A Northwest Airlines DC-10, bound for Frankfurt, Germany (FRA), mistakenly lands in Brussels, Belgium (BRU), approximately 200 miles off course.

Wow. That had to hurt as well.

..September 5, 1995 - A Northwest Airlines DC-10, bound for Frankfurt, Germany (FRA), mistakenly lands in Brussels, Belgium (BRU), approximately 200 miles off course.

Wow. That had to hurt as well.

Yeah I was just thinking of how those poor guys must have felt. I remember how bad I felt taking passengers to the wrong FBO.

Thread closed due to multiple complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back