Colgan in IAD??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flifo81

So the latest rumor I've heard is that Colgan will be taking over the flying for Shuttle America out of IAD for United Express. Anyone else hear of it?

Hello,
I wouldn't describe myself as a person who has his finger on the pulse of the company. Having said that, I haven't heard anything of the sort coming out of Mansassas. The latest thing that I have heard that was the company was possibly going to get some of CoEx's flying out of BOS or CLE. Apparently, the ERJ isn't as viable on the 250 NM or less routes and this type of flying is more suited to a turboprop. CoEx is out of the turboprop business and has expressed no desire to resume flying them. Supposedly, a bid is going to come out for 15-20 50-seat aircraft operating CoEx routes.
Now, as for the rumor of Shuttle America...I thought that Shuttle America only had IAD as a base? And, I thought I read somewhere that SA was going to be folded into Republic after the Mid-Atlantic sale is complete and metomorphisize into a 35-40 ship EMB-170 outfit.
Given the newly commenced Continental Connection operations in IAH, I just don't think that Colgan can possibly take on anymore. Neither operationally; logistically or even more importantly, financially. I get the feeling that Colgan's pockets are not full of venture capital and any further expansion will require some kind of outside investment. I really doubt that the Colgan family will relinquish any of the decision-making/day-to-day operations for the sake of new money. I could be wrong, but we will see on that.
Frankly, the company is at critical mass as far as any growth is concerned and they will be wise to spend more time on refining the operations that they have vice trying to get themselves into a bind from which they might not recover.

Just my humble .02 cents,

Ex-Navy Rotorhead

Last edited:
According to several people in different United ground stations over the last month, they have been told to start reviewing the Jetstream 41 operations and ground handling. Nothing official from anyone, just interesting speculation.

I too have heard the CLE rumor...I agree that I don't see them taking on any other projects at the moment. I think they have their hands full as is.

If it's J-41s than I assume that must be Trans States? However, I thought they were retiring them soon. Saw a couple of them in PIT the other day though. Like Flifo81 was saying, tough to imagine Colgan taking on anything else at the current time.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Latest resources

Back