Colgan Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jeff99gr

Just sent my app in via airlineapps. Wondering how long it takes for a response and if Colgan is a good place to start for someone who is ready to move on from flight instruction.

It's a great place to start, it's an advancement of your career. You'll be getting 121 experience, turbine time, I believe a pretty quick upgrade(?), so, PIC turbine time. Good luck to ya.:beer:

Colgan can be a great place to gain some quality experience. It certainly has been for me. Just firm up your goals before you take the plunge.

If you want stability, good work rules and industry leading pay, you might want to look elsewhere. Colgan bases its pilots primarily at the outstations, which means there are around 30+ bases. Many - especially on the Beech side - are only serviced by Colgan and can make commuting pretty tough. Living in base is an option (and you'd be home almost every night), but you always run the risk that a particular route with change and your base will close.

The good news for anyone that's willing to put up with this lifestyle, is that attrition is high and that consistenly leads to quick upgrades, even without the current expansion.

Again, decide what's important to you. I chose Colgan for these specific reasons, and the experience has worked out well for me. Good luck in your achieving your goals.

psysix said:
What's the QOL for a hewhire?

Kind of a crapshoot, but your QOL could actually be pretty good from the start. Generally 4 on - 3 off, with about 75-90 hours pay credit. Not too much reserve, unless you're the fourth FO at a base with only three lines.

Again - living in base is the way to go if you don't mind the possibility of moving on short notice.

Live at your base and you will LOVE your job,live away from your base and you WILL hate your job. I love colgan. Its great flying, good airplanes, with typical mx issues, and fun airports in the middle of nowhere. Ok $$$ and fun times with crews, all are great people to fly with!

Good luck. it took me about a week to interview, then off to training in about 1.5 weeks after the job offer.

Have fun and think long term and you will enjoy it!

P2j

You suck prop 2 jet. Good money? 14000 grand is not good money retard. Don't listen to prop 2 jet he is a tool. He has been on the job for a week. He is still feeling special because he gets free soda and pretzels. I was in training with him he is a cat molester and married a guy in vermont. He is lucky I carried him through training.

GEORGE DUBYA said:
You suck prop 2 jet. Good money? 14000 grand is not good money retard. Don't listen to prop 2 jet he is a tool. He has been on the job for a week. He is still feeling special because he gets free soda and pretzels. I was in training with him he is a cat molester and married a guy in vermont. He is lucky I carried him through training.

I guess you guys are not the best of friends!!!!!:uzi:

GEORGE DUBYA said:
Good money? 14000 grand is not good money retard.

Starting pay is more around 18000 (20.00/hr 1900, 21.00/hr saab with 75 hr guarantee). People are great, paid training (sort of - 50/day), and there are only 16 bases (IAH for Continental, and then a lot of the outbases for US/United). I've been told that most of the outbases that are only served by Colgan usually have empty seats (plus the jumpseat on saabs) for commuting.

Right now upgrades are around a year and not expected to go up by very much, so you should end up making captain's pay by the end of the second year.

I got an e-mail back from my app the day after I posted it, interviewed a weekk later and started training 2 weeks after that. Just finishing sim now, can't wait to get flying.

Latest resources

Back