• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The line are made up mostly of day trips, which doesn't pay per diem.

That's sad if you don't get per diem on a day line. You're still at work and away from base. It should be paid, just taxed.

Hello,
I think that PNCL Holdings would be wise to pull out of the USAirways Express flying, and re-trench with another legacy carrier flying the same routes. Perhaps feeding a different hub, and with an eye toward re-capitalizing the fleet with more new technology turboprops as it becomes available.
UA/US just broke off merger talks, and UA/CO merger looks like it might be on the table now. US Airways CEO Doug Parker stated that there was an excess in capacity within the legacy airlines. Ironically, after all the rhetoric and attempted buy-out of DL. I think it's going to be US thats going to ultimately be the legacy that goes out of business in either late 08' or early 09'. It's most unfortuante for the employees and personally I hate to see anyone loose their jobs. I've got more than a few friends that have already had the chair yanked out from under them.
Colgan Air needs to have a union on the property to negotiate some decent work rules, however there is nothing that the pilots can do to force the airline to change their crew manning model. Unfortunately, the timing is poor for the Colgan Air pilot group to have any leverage to negotiate with PNCL Holdings. A company thats not known for a stellar record for maintaining good labor relations with it's pilots or negotiating period.
I agree with Beech Balls, when we were both new-hires about four years Colgan Air wasn't a bad place to work, even with the 91 ferry flights and some of the other nonsense that we did have to contend. After the CO deal things changed a great deal, and beyond recognition after the sale.
I think that Colgan Air will emerge as the premier large turboprop regional, but it's not set in stone. PNCL Holdings has a real chance to make this happen, but they are simply going to have to put aside the current mentality of treating their employees as costs to be controlled vs. assets to be fostered and rewarded for the fruits of their labor.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Why flame? Do you really care how it's going? the beech is still getting screwed.

Nothing significant beyond a sick call policy. Q schedules arn't what people hoped, and it takes weeks to get on the line.

doubt much will happen with the saab right now. I could see issues if UAL/USair merger was going to happen, but there is not much overlaping route structure... we've been picking up sabb flying for UAL anyways. The planes are all leased.. colgan wouldn't jump out unless they had somewhere else to send them.

Try asking again in 7 months...

Actually, i do care how it's going. I still have a lot of friends at Colgan. I spent damn near 4 years there...2.5 of them in the Beech.
There is usually a little bit of information on the forums, some flame bait as well....I just try to approach things with a sense of humor, and yet remain connected to a point.
I do miss the people and the flying. The management (save one or two people) can get lost for all I care....

Colgan Rules. I heard they may change the call sign anyone hear about this? I have heard showtime and pathfinder however my write in vote is Chocolate thunder.

The back up in IOE is due to 11 checkairmen, one reason why my days off are counted in hours not days. I miss the Saab but the Q400 is a good airplane, just ask all the jumpseaters now. Full bags up front and in back plus 74 and a jump with fuel. With all this money coming in some needs to trickle to the pilot and FA group.

Dispatch reliability has got a lot better becuase the pilots have more line experience. Issues cropping up were in part pilot induced. Pilot action can cause many of the mtc. issues on this aircraft, I've witnessed it first hand. From FO's pressing buttons when they shouldn't or moving the flaps with no hyd. pressure to captains feathering the condition levers prior to hyd cont. being shut off. The biggest is starting engines on GPU with the batteries off then disconecting the GPU, big ol' "POWERPLANT" non resettable message.

There, I feel better, thank you.

PNCL Holdings has a real chance to make this happen, but they are simply going to have to put aside the current mentality of treating their employees as costs to be controlled vs. assets to be fostered and rewarded for the fruits of their labor.

Boy....I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that hope to come true.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back