CoEx - traveling with bicycles?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ms6073

Sorry as this post is not to ask questions about hiring, time on reserve, scheduling, or quality of life but the wife and I are heading to Vermont at the end of the month for a bicyling vacation and we are flying CO/COEX - IAH-EWR-BTV. We are bringing bikes which will be packed in a single case which exceeds the 50Lb/23Kg And 62 TOTAL LINEAR IN/157Cm requirement to travel without service charge. The bike box and service charge is typically not a concern but I noticed that the EWR-BTV leg on CoEx is almost fully booked so I am wanting to know:
  • Is there a possibility of the bike box getting bumped and not making the EWR-BVT leg (RJ145) of the flight? :eek:
  • Having not been to EWR in several years, when we transfer flights, will we have to pickup the bike box at the baggage claim and then check it again for the Burlington leg? :confused:
  • If yes to the first question, is it customary to charge the oversize service charge for each leg of the flight or one charge at the beginning? :(
Thanks in advance

If i were you, i'd would just fed ex the box's to the place you're staying in btv, especially if you're nonreving. pilots get a pretty huge discount with your badge at any fedex store. that way you know that they'll be there...

Ditto. I've FedEx'd my bike a few times. Seems to average around $35, and it's at your door the next morning.

Thanks for the reply but this trip is full fare (and first class seating) and I originally had planned on using UPS or FedEx to ship the bikes with our box that holds two bikes, the oversize charges make CO's service charge look cheap! Bikes could not be shipped until 5-business days before the trip and 3-day service is $300 and ground service is also more expensive than paying the service charge! :rolleyes:

Ditto. I've FedEx'd my bike a few times. Seems to average around $35, and it's at your door the next morning.

As have I with older bikes but our current bikes have integrated seat masts instead of seat posts. Unlike a seat post, the seat mast is cut to specification which requires the use of a larger box. I visited the FedEx and UPS websites and with the dimensions/weight of our container, we get hit with surcharges for oversized/heavy package. :(

Thanks - knew that before we bought the tickets but there is a story led us to opt for the big seats up front. The story has something to do with the wife and I being forced to share most of her seat for the duration of a 4-hour flight when a 450+ lb. man sat down in the next seat while non-reving for our anniversary/vacation trip to PDX last year! :uzi:

While we're takling about FedExing stuff. Anyone ever FedEx a snowboard or pair of skis? Just looking what it would cost with the usual airline discount

You can get a SWAG by going here: http://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home?cc=US&language=en entering the required information then take the shipping cost and then deduct 35% (typical industry discount). Keep in mind that costs are dependent on whether you are shipping through a FedEx entity such as a FedEx delivery truck or a wholly owned FedEx store front (FedEx or Kinko's FedEx) versus a business that offers FedEx services where the business may add 'handling charges' or other markups on top of FedEx rate.

ms6073

Hey,

If your coming up with your rate by input on the website then I would say it is way off.

I have shipped my bike via DHL to BTV in a hard shell bike box and it was $35 with delta discount, but $200 or so when I put it in on the website.

Take your box to a Kinko/Fedex and let them see it.

Do you ride mtn or road or both?

I shipped mine to the Delta station at BTV after calling them and letting them know my intentions, they were very nice about it.

I also did this to Grand Junction, CO. When I go home Im friends with the station and they overlooked the charge back home.

Medeco

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back