Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cockpits still not adequately protected?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You have no clue what you are talking about. Once the cockpit door is closed for pushback FFDOs take the weapon out of their bag and strap it to their body. It gets put back into the bag once arriving at the gate.

If they blitz you from behind in a cramped cockpit, are you really going to be able to shoot them??

I've heard the ffdo program is great but I doubt the real world effectiveness. First of all we're not supposed to intervene under any circumstance with stuff in the back . Secondly if a guy bum rushes the cockpit most likely he's gonna surprise the shi te out of the gun toting ffdo guy who if he's actually able to grab his weapon in his state of shock will probably squeeze one off through the windshield creating a whole new problem. I'd rather have more guns i.e. marshals in the back then train guys who shouldn't ever have to use them up front.

What kind of problem? That .40 probably wouldn't make it through the windshield. And, if it went through some aluminum, the plane would probably just close the outflow valve a bit. I think the FFDO program is a great idea. I just wish more pilots were armed so that the bad guys would be less likely to even give it a try.

I've heard the ffdo program is great but I doubt the real world effectiveness. First of all we're not supposed to intervene under any circumstance with stuff in the back . Secondly if a guy bum rushes the cockpit most likely he's gonna surprise the shi te out of the gun toting ffdo guy who if he's actually able to grab his weapon in his state of shock will probably squeeze one off through the windshield creating a whole new problem. I'd rather have more guns i.e. marshals in the back then train guys who shouldn't ever have to use them up front.

As an FFDO I can tell you you're wrong. Unfortunately I cannot explain why, as this is a public website

I've met a lot of ffdos that I feel like could actually do something if push came to shove. I've also met plenty of ffdos who bring the us air moron to mind . Hey everybody look at the cool gun I got in the program for cheap. Whoops I just shot a hole in the airplane. If you made a list of the people who you would least like to see have guns at work without fail I think every one one of them did the ffdo program.

If you made a list of the people who you would least like to see have guns at work without fail I think every one one of them did the ffdo program.

I couldn't disagree more with that statement. I used to be a cop. We drew from high school graduates who had yet to grow up. I used to cringe at the thought of some of the kids that were now wearing a uniform, a badge, a high powered hand gun and driving a police cruiser. Is that what you want providing security on airplanes? The negligent incident rate was many, many times higher with those guys as it is with the FFDO program. We were just able to keep the majority of it out of public awareness.

The FFDO program draws from a pool of individuals who are not only older and more mature, but have already proven themselves in a difficult and professional career field. Checkrides don't just test you airmanship and procedual knowledge, it tests your psychology in handling a stressful, potentially life threatening situation. When it comes to negligent incidents, I would put the FFDO core against any other law enforcement agency, Federal or state. Not only that, but many of the FFDO's were attracted to the program because they were already seasoned shooters. Quite a few shoot competitively.

I cannot discuss the tactics we practice, but when I saw the video, I chuckled and started counting how many dead bodies there would be if an FFDO were in the cockpit. Nevertheless, I would like to see a second barrier mandated though.

Last edited:
Agree. A group of terrorists who have spent years training, have the element of surprise, and are prepared to die; wouldn't stand a chance against a guy who took a weekend course on cockpit security.

Hey if it was navy seals with bare hands how many would it take to overcome an FFDO? I would say 1000 unless the FFDO is Ditka!

Agree. A group of terrorists who have spent years training, have the element of surprise, and are prepared to die; wouldn't stand a chance against a guy who took a weekend course on cockpit security.

Hey if it was navy seals with bare hands how many would it take to overcome an FFDO? I would say 1000 unless the FFDO is Ditka!

Prepared to die? yes
Element of surprise? possibly
Years of training to rush a cockpit? Really? It takes them that long to learn how to rush a cockpit?

Latest resources

Back