• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

cockpit weapons

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only problem with that .45 are the two FA's that are dead meat on the jumpseat. Unless you are using hollow points....

"The only problem with that .45 are the two FA's that are dead meat on the jumpseat. Unless you are using hollow points...."

Better 2 dead FA's than a whole plane load and god knows how many more on the ground. I don't care if there are 10 collateral casualties as long as the airplane gets on the ground safely. If and when it ever gets to the point that I feel the need to start shooting the situation will already be extreme and critical. In other words people may die if I don't do something right now. My only goal will be to kill the badguys and if some innocents get killed in the process, well, thats why it's called close quarter COMBAT and not square dancing. Hopefully, the only ones hurt will be the assailants. In reality engaging in a gun fight inside a crowded 10 foot tube and at ranges where you can kick your opponent is very likely going to result in innocent folks getting hurt. It ain't pretty but thems the facts and anybody that is willing to take on the responsibility of employing deadly force had better be able to live with the consequences. Hesitation may result in the loss of the weapon to the hijackers and then it will get really ugly. If you are gonna carry it be **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** sure you are mentally prepared to use it. On the other hand only extensive mental preparation and running through as many scenarios as you can come up with will prepare you to quickly and correctly make the decison to shoot or not shoot. We don't need folks overreacting and pointing pistols in peoples faces because an inadequately trained and mentally unprepared pilot misread the situation. I'm all for arming pilots but I'm pretty skeptical about how many people are really mentally and physically trained to use deadly force effectively.

A .45 is bigger and slower than any other popular caliber and therefore dissipates more energy into the recipient than a fast moving 9mm or a really fast moving .40. BTW I did suggest that it be loaded with hollow points.

I like Archie Bunker's idea to stop hijakers. As people board the plane hand out guns to everyone. The first hijaker to stand up gets plugged by all aboard. When the flight ends, everybody hands in their gun (I'm just afraid what might happen to the first person who gets up to use the bathroom).

Security screening, even 9 menths after 9/11 is grossly ineffective, even by the government's own admission. The TSA and FAA is evidently unwilling to issue univeral biometric IDs for airline workers, thus wasting even more screening time. Air Marshal stats are a joke. The ramp side of the airport is a sieve.

Gentlemen, if you're counting on PC physical screening to keep you and your pax safe, you're seriously deluding yourself.

Without question we need last ditch lethal cockpit defense:

1. For use only behind a hardened cockpit door and only if it has been or is being forceably breached. Pilots should never leave the cockpit if there is any indication of trouble in the cabin.

2. Weapons to remain installed as aircraft equipment in quick reaction safes. Not carried on person.

3. Simple ROE and sufficient training.

The government and airlines have already proven they are incapable of providing sufficient security. It's up to us alone as the last ditch defenders of the aircraft.

Ya, MSNBC issued the results tonight of recent security checks and tests. Among the worst was JFK and CVG resulting in 50% of items intentionally sent through to represent a gun or bomb went undetected. :eek:

Amazing. I couldn't even get through with a tiny baggage key (I mean TINY) stuff in my wallet that I forgot about.

As long as the criminals have guns.......so will I.

My choice is .....

the sig sauer p-228 with trijicon sites and +p ammo Always shoot "Pistol Master" with it!
As a cheap off duty the Kel-Tec 9mm is small and very effective!! Chas

Naw, just get a Colt 1911 .45 caliber. pretty reliable gun. Just the remotely occasional "stovepipe". The .45 has great stopping power, -- almost twice the 9mm. You hit a hijacker with a .45 or a .40, he's going down.
Does'nt matter anyway, the public still thinks we "need to stay up in the cockpit where we belong". I think the public's perception is that we'll put on spurs and do the ole Clint Eastwood routine down the aisle. Oh, and a bullet penetrating the side of the plane will result in some wierd, cosmic physics reaction where people get sucked out and papers fly around.
The reality we all know is that one pilot flies, the other sits there with the muzzle pointed at the door. What's so hard about that?
As usual, we pilots are the only ones who knows anything about how pilots operate.

Latest resources

Back