Cockpit Placards

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotmiketx said:
Chief and Spruce etc. all sell various placards from different vendors, so they don't need to be a $500 TSO'd PMA'd part.

Also heard a story of a guy getting his King Air ramp checked and the inspector noticed part of the CLOSE--> sign on the door was rubbed off so he told the guy his plane wasn't airworthy. So the guy goes in the plane and comes out with a roll of duct tape and a sharpie and makes himself a placard. The tool from the fuzzdo couldn't argue and he was free to go.

Part 91? because I've read an ASRS report about a guy being violated on a 135 ramp check for tightening a nav light screw that the inspector pointed out as being loose.... unauthorized maintenance.

I've seen AD which called for the installation of a placard with a specific part number. If you installed a homemade placard with the same information, from a strict point of view, you are not in compliance with the AD. It called for a installation specific p/n, and that has not been installed.

At the bottom of the AD, there is usually a name and phone number. You can contact this person and request an alternate means of compliance or AMOC, to use a placard that says the same thing, and that matches the other placards in your particular aircraft.

I've done this several times on numerous aircraft.

Well, fwiw, I replaced that panel on the inside of the baggage door yesterday evening after putting some new seal on the door. My wife, bless her, managed to carefully peel the old placard off the old panel in one piece and stick it on the new. Before she started, I'd have bet $100 that no 30 yr old placard was going to peel off in one, useable piece, but it looks like a new one on the new panel.....

erj-145mech said:
At the bottom of the AD, there is usually a name and phone number. You can contact this person and request an alternate means of compliance or AMOC, to use a placard that says the same thing, and that matches the other placards in your particular aircraft.

I've done this several times on numerous aircraft.

Good point about the AMOC

pilotmiketx said:
Also heard a story of a guy getting his King Air ramp checked and the inspector noticed part of the CLOSE--> sign on the door was rubbed off so he told the guy his plane wasn't airworthy. So the guy goes in the plane and comes out with a roll of duct tape and a sharpie and makes himself a placard. The tool from the fuzzdo couldn't argue and he was free to go.

Happened to me once on an ATR. FAA Maint Inspector said we were not airworthy cause once of our exterior placards had torn off. After talk to our maint and deciding it would take something like 5 hours to get a new one to us, the inspector said it didn't "have" to be a placard, the words just had to be there. I borrowed a magic marker and wrote it on the side of the plane, and she was happy with it.

Latest resources

Back