Cockpit nuke workers unite!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
USMCmech said:
Pilots exposure to solar radiation is higher than normal, but it's still far from a problem.

If in fact you're asking about becoming a licensed pilot in the realm of "general aviation" rather than commercial flying, be assured that at the low altitudes used by private pilots in light aircraft the radiation risks are negligible.
Wrong, skin cancer from ultraviolet radiation is going to be a big problem for people who fly a lot in unpressurized aircraft with Plexiglas windows, whether the aviation operation is Title 14 CFR part 91, 105, 135 or whatever.

I've been banging that drum a long time. Pilots who retire from this type of flying either live to be 90 (They are protected by their own genes, I'm guessing) or you seem to read their obits at 63 and find they died from some really funky cancer, like "upper spine cancer", vs a more typical cancer.

Wink wink, don't ask, don't tell with radiation.

The FAA has a site that lets you calculate the dose you got on a particular leg. I did a whole month and extrapolated that out for 30 years. I came up with about a 1 in 200 chance of death from cancer. Thats for long haul cargo.

Don't forget...there are therepeutic aspects to radiation exposure!! I'm much more disgruntled since I left the accelerator! CRJs just don't fly high enough for me to keep getting my fix ;)

USMCmech said:
That is literally nothing. Having lliterally recived 200 times that amount durring a month of shooting X-rays, I'm not really worried.

That's a goofy analogy. Since you already chose to be exposed to large amounts of radiation via x-rays, comparing that to aircrew dosage is like saying "only a quart of Jack? Heck I drink 5 quarts a day." Well the 5 quarts is what's going to hurt you, not the one.

^^^^ Now THAT's a stupid analogy too. Oh well. You should be concerned about your x-ray exposure. The effects don't show up in 6 weeks, it can take years. Just because the "Govt says it's OK" doesn't make it so.

I cringe every time I see a TSA guy stick his arm inside one of the airport X-ray machines to retrieve a jammed-up tray. The other day, I kid you not, a lady loaded her POODLE into one of those gray x-ray trays. The dog began its journey into the machine calmly. About three of us in line went "N-OOOO-oooo! Don't do that!" and saved the dog.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back