Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
Anyone measured the dB level in your backcountry aircraft? When I flew my dog for the first time last week her mutt muffs slid back so I removed my headphones (Bose A20) to see how loud it really was. It was loud! I'm curious and need to take some measurements. As I wear an Apple Watch I learned it has a "Noise" app:

I'm curious of the rotax vs. non-rotax noise levels. For example CubCrafters new SS UL with the Rotax on the front end. How will that compare to the SS with the Titan CC340?

Measured with my Apple Watch "Noise" app:

19 squared: 98 dB
20 squared: 100 dB
25 squared: 103 dB

On my flight home from a fly-in yesterday I used 24/24, probably could have gone 25/25 but I had a nice tailwind giving me ~120mph ground which was fine. At the end of the nearly 2 hour flight my head hurt. It's still loud even with my helmet on with good ear cup fit, it's my Air Force helmet modified with the Bose A20, even with ANR, it can be better. I'm going to be trying foam ear plugs under the helmet like I always flew with in the Air Force and see how that goes. If flying cross country and doing over 5 hours in a day the sound level may be the cause of fatigue, etc. I'll report back with results. And as with the Air Force flying the ear plugs I think actually make hearing the radio easier as the background noise (engine) is filtered down.

Amazon product ASIN B008MCTLJE

How did the plugs work:? Regarding noise levels, have you considered over-square ops?

Haven't tried it yet and yes, at times fly over-square.

I tried ear plugs today under Bose A20's. Nope, doesn't work well, immediately removed them.

Latest resources

Back