Cockpit door in a crash.

grog_sit_reserv

Crashcave Lounger
Total Time
Uknown
Exactly, how about: "Fly the Airplane, don't let the autothrottles rollback to idle for nearly 2 minutes."

I think that's a good one too.

Sig

Total Time
100%
I'm just a lowly regional puke, and my response to the thread title jeopardy style is, "What is part of the wreckage?"

The other responses are far better.

SFR

Pilot Guy
Total Time
It's indestructable. If you can get inside it you will be ok

overseas boy

Total Time
Troll
Yeah cause it's always that simple. Hopefully you never crash and have to endure 40 minutes of slow death because of a security door that's now blocking your rescue. Apart from the reasons for this particular crash it does raise a very valid point.

HalinTexas

昇る太陽の土&#
Total Time
10000+
There's a method of opening the door from the outside. And, if there's no power on the door, as was most likely in the crash, and it's not deadbolted it will NOT be locked.

StrykerFL

Treetop Flier
Total Time
I'm all for installing ejection seats....

Green Banana

Request Direct Honolulu..
If the air frame is to bend or mis-shape at all I would suspect the sliding windows will not open. This is also is possible for the door frame. I know of a Dash 8 wreck with the old door. The door was pinned closed, emergency overhead hatch pinned closed, pilots cut out of the aluminum.

scoreboardII

Total Time
xxxxxx
evidently the crack fire team didn't have one of the tools every US fire dept has:

goes through aluminum like butter, could have cut the entire front off the jet in 1 minute

Minimaniac

Benevolent Dictator
Total Time
As for me, if ever I expect to do a crash landing, or an emergency landing where departure from the runway is more than remotely possible, I will certainly unlatch the cockpit door. Fully opening it is not advisable, as tat door can provide lots of protection from unsecured objects in the cabin, but cracking the door is a good way to minimize the risk of the door becoming jammed due to frame bending. The window and hatch exits should remain closed, as again they offer lots of initial protection, and add to the rigidity of the airframe. The cockpit door, however, serves no such purpose. Crack the door!