• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

Cocaine, Alcohol, Cold Medicine, Fog, and engine failures don't mix...

Singlecoil

I don't reMember
Total Time
It's like your CFI always said, "Don't fly single pilot into lousy weather while high on cocaine, alcohol, and cold medicine because you might lose an engine."

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20040623X00853&key=1

The pilot's failure to follow proper IFR procedures by not adhering to the published missed approach procedures, which resulted in an in-flight collision with tree-covered terrain. Factors contributing to the accident were a low ceiling, fog, rain, and the insufficient operating standards of company management by allowing unauthorized single pilot instrument flight operations. Additional factors were the pilot's impairment from cocaine, alcohol, and over the counter cold medication, and the FAA's inadequate medical certification of the pilot and follow-up of his known substance abuse problems.

Whiskey Tango

Total Time
Any link in the chain could have saved him. If only he hadn't done that coke...

NYCPilot

Incorporated.
Total Time
Jesus. What a history of drug abuse this guy had.
Read the full narrative. Don't know why he didn't lose his medical permanently.

Snakum

How's your marmott?
Total Time
Little
It's like your CFI always said, "Don't fly single pilot into lousy weather while high on cocaine, alcohol, and cold medicine because you might lose an engine."
Geezus ... my CFI never said a word about that. I had no idea. :eek:

Thanks guys! :)

Minh
( :D )

TrafficInSight

mmmm.... doooonuuuut.
Total Time
Snakum said:
Geezus ... my CFI never said a word about that. I had no idea. :eek:

Thanks guys! :)

Minh
( :D )
Mine would have said it, but there are just things you don't do while chugging cough syrup and snorting coke on an ILS to minimums.

AA717driver

A simpler time...
Total Time
+/-13k
pilotmiketx said:
That cold medicide will F**k a brutha UP!
Well, since you can only buy one package a week from the Wal-mart pharmacy, it should nip the flying/snorting/cold medicine problem in the bud.
:cool: TC