Coastal Jet Service - per-seat, daily nonstop Citation X HPN-BUR

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

Is this a good idea? Do you think they can cover their costs adequately? How long before this flying would get a bit boring for the pilots?

Anyone know anything about this operation? Are all pilots based out of HPN? Any thoughts as to potential success?

New York-based Coastal Jet Service last week said it is launching per-seat, daily nonstop service on a Citation X between New York and Los Angeles. Coastal Jet plans to use the Avitat FBO at Westchester County Airport in White Plains, N.Y. and the Million Air facility in Burbank, Calif., for the new service. According to Coastal Jet, the cost for a one-way flight will be set at a flat rate of $4,600 plus tax, with 1 percent of each ticket sold donated directly to St. Jude’s charity.

Check out their website:

http://www.coastaljetservice.com/

Is this a good idea? Do you think they can cover their costs adequately? How long before this flying would get a bit boring for the pilots?

Anyone know anything about this operation? Are all pilots based out of HPN? Any thoughts as to potential success?

New York-based Coastal Jet Service last week said it is launching per-seat, daily nonstop service on a Citation X between New York and Los Angeles. Coastal Jet plans to use the Avitat FBO at Westchester County Airport in White Plains, N.Y. and the Million Air facility in Burbank, Calif., for the new service. According to Coastal Jet, the cost for a one-way flight will be set at a flat rate of $4,600 plus tax, with 1 percent of each ticket sold donated directly to St. Jude’s charity.

Check out their website:

http://www.coastaljetservice.com/

And so it begins... Well, I am not sure how well this operation will do. Certainly it is more appealing from a PR perspective than chartering an entire jet (if you are the sole occupant or you have 2-3 people) if you are being scrutinized. Group size would be important. If you have 4-5 or more people in your party you might as well charter your own airplane. If you have 1-2 this may make more economic sense. The price is somewhat competitive with airline first class tickets on a one-for-one basis and the Citation X flight may be more convenient for some people living in the HPN area.

That said, you are restricted currently to flying between HPN and Burbank. What if you have business in Orange County, CA or you live on Long Island? You are somewhat restricted at this point from a location standpoint. It might appeal more to entertainment people who probably will want to fly the Burbank area.

And yes, I think the pilots would get bored relatively quickly flying back and forth between the two city pairs.

They are holding out to the general public with dates and times. Last time I checked, scheduled service requires a 121 certificate.

It is consider on-demand if there are less than 5 round trips per week. Read 119.3 under "on demand operations". They are advertising 4 round trips per week.

Citation 10 cabin can get pretty tight with more than 5 people...especially when everyone is strangers.

Citation 10 cabin can get pretty tight with more than 5 people...especially when everyone is strangers.

Besides at xojets, you can get the whole plane for $19K or $2,375 a head for 8 pax.

They will not be strangers anymore after riding across country in that thing.

Agreed. At that point, why not just fly the airlines? I guess you're still going to save a lot of time, but losing the flexibility and being with strangers would be a no go for the principals we fly.

Agreed. At that point, why not just fly the airlines? I guess you're still going to save a lot of time, but losing the flexibility and being with strangers would be a no go for the principals we fly.

I agree with whoever said this type of service would be ideal for smaller groups of people - maybe 1-3. Why charter an entire jet for that distance with empty seats? Only serving HPN and BUR is not very flexible for passengers, however.

Latest resources

Back