coast guard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

nathan

does anybody have any info on coast guard aviation? i am looking into doing coast guard OCS upon completion of college (flight technology degree) in may and was curious as to the number of openings (if any) and any other info on becoming a pilot for the U.S. Coast Guard

nathan said:
does anybody have any info on coast guard aviation? i am looking into doing coast guard OCS upon completion of college (flight technology degree) in may and was curious as to the number of openings (if any) and any other info on becoming a pilot for the U.S. Coast Guard

The Coast Guard trains pilots through the Navy. If you pick up a flight slot you'll go to Pensacola following OCS. Your options in flight school will be either fixed wing or rotary wing. For fixed wing you can expect to go to either the HU-25 or HC-130. Rotary wing choices are HH-60, HH-65, and MH-68. There are duty stations all over the place and you can most likely find one that fits your desires....small places in Oregon to big units like Miami and Clearwater. Also, HH-65 and MH-68 deploy on ships, so buyer beware.

Like the Navy, CG aviators have some significant collateral duties. Jobs like admin, supply, maintenance, facilities engineering as well as operations are all usually filled by pilots. This is the downside. The upside is you'll get to fly quite a bit and have some relatively rewarding missions. It's a small service, so you want to hit the ground running...everyone knows everyone else and a first impression will stick.

Good Luck.

Thanks a lot! I can use all the information I can get. I am pretty confident that I would be accepted into OCS based on talks with a recruiter, but I am having trouble finding anything out about the likelyhood of getting a pilot slot. Do you know what the Coast Guard's status is with pilot slots. Any information you have would be very useful to me. Thanks again!
Nathan

nathan,
80drvr is correct, good post. Pilot slots vary outta OCS. You may very well get assigned to a non-avaiation job initially, no big deal. Do a great job while there & apply for P'Cola. If you don't go to flight training right away, Do Not blow off your current job with the "I'm going to flight school anyway" syndrome; because that will guarantee you'll never see a slot. Have fun & enjoy it, CG aviation is a great deal, fantastic duty stations, great aircraft, & some of the best people you'll ever meet. Hope it works out for ya.

Nathan

Saab Driver makes a great point, if you don't get selected for Flight Training out of OCS DON"T WORRY. If you want to go to flight school and you are physically qualified then you will go. That is basically the way it has always been. Just do you job as well as you can. Also, it is OK if you let others you work with know that you are interested in flight school but don't brag about it or talk about it constantly. You never know when your boss might be a ship driver and hate aviators and do his or her best to keep you from going.

As far as what to fly in the CG that will pretty be up to you depending on how well you perform in flight school. I flew both H-60's and C130's and loved them both. If you plan on making the CG a career then I would recommend helos. If you want to go to the airlines someday I would say fixed wing. Although SAAB Story may disagree since he was a helo guy 100% and is in the airlines now.

If you have anymore questions just ask.

Good Luck

I don't disagree with Brown at all. Please let your boss know you want flight training while kicking a** doing whatever it is you're doing. You will get there. As far as fixed vs helo, he's right. Fixed will give you a "smoother track" if your plan is to leave the service, but based on this market/industry you might not have or want that option. Helos will give you a great opportunity while in the CG & it is possible to move on from there. The helo mission will make you "feel good" about your job, but will cost ya (time spent in a regional) if you bail after your 2nd tour. Either way you win, it's a great job or career; your choice. Good luck.

No Guarantee

The only downside to CG OCS (if you are committed to the CG that is) is that there is no guarantee that you will get a flight training slot afterward. On the other hand, there are some who get flight training directly out of OCS, and historically in the CG there aren't enough applicants for flight training, so your chances of getting flight training are pretty good. Particularly with some flight time and some ratings in the bag. Many are put off from applying for flight training because of the extra commitment that goes along with it, so there are usually pretty good odds at the pilot training selection boards.

If you are interested in serving your country as an officer and then as a pilot, the CG may be the way to go. As Saab, 80 and BrownTail have said, it is a great way to go and often you have the chance to fly both fixed and rotary wing aircraft. You many not get to choose right off the bat which type you get, but don't despair because many CG pilots go from rotary to fixed or vice versa sometime during their career. (Only the best ones get to fly Falcons the whole time however!)

You will fly some pretty sofisticated aircraft in some of the crummiest weather imaginable and more than likely save a significant number of lives during your career (and not just those of you and your crew!). There are some downsides and a fair amount of BS to put up with, but it is a great way to have Uncle Sam pay for your flight training and experience, sevre your country, and make a difference in many folks lives. You will also get to work with some very fine, dedicated people who are commited to helping others and completing their full time mission every day of the year.

Good luck.

FJ

Nathan,

If you fly flacons you don't have to worry about flying in bad weather, or worry about going too far offshore either. They spend most of their time going to air shows and flying Admirals around.

If you want a real challenge fly H60's or Hercs and make your way up to Alaska. The most exciting and challenging flying you'll ever encounter. Hands Down.

But if you enjoy quiche and wearing ascots go ahead and fly Falcons. They don't have a mission, but they almost look cool. :p

I did a search in the dark of night. We were the only bird out there for about 30 minutes. Then, the CG Falcon and HH-65 arrived, and the Falcon took the OSC (on-scene commander). I was glad to have them there, to keep us from crashing into one another.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back