Coast Guard DCA Info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HappyBear

I just received a call from the recruiting office earlier today with the good news of a time/date for my upcoming DCA interview. I would greatly appreciate any words of wisdom any coasties out there might be willing to provide.

Buffettck, I am not sure what DCA board you are talking about but I think Happy Bear is asking about the Coast Guard Direct Commission Officer board.

So I will answer what I can for Happy Bear. But remember Happy Bear if you happen to be coming to Mobile the first week of April, you may see my smiling face so you had better make good use of the info I provide.

There are a few standard questions we are required to ask but for the life of me I cannot remember them exactly but I will give you the jist. These are not in order or near verbatim, or even all of them.

1. You will be given an approach plate and asked how you would brief it.
2. A question about CRM and how you apply it.
3. You most challenging leadership hurdle.
4. How would you evaluate a subordinate who you rarely supervise directly.
5. You are asked to execute a Medevac, but the weather is getting bad. What do you do? (risk analysis)
6. There is one about an aircraft emergency and how you handle it.

Sorry I can't remember the rest. Those are just the required questions. No matter where you go to the board, the pilots on the board will ask you a few questions they feel to be important. They could be just about anything. After all, they are trying to decide whether or not they would want to be on board a ship with you for a few months or not or even if they think you would want to spend time with you on duty.

Then the really important time comes. Please, please, please be prepared to ask some questions. This interview is just like any other interview. You want to make sure this is the right fit for you as well. So think of questions you might be bothered with. In this case there is no such thing as a stupid question and you will have the ear of three pilots, of which at least one was in your shoes at one point and they will all gladly answer your questions. So write them down and bring them with you.

Good luck

Sardaddy...

HappyBear and I flew the H-3 together in FL. He did a lot of good work rescuing folks during Katrine. He is a solid pilot and a great guy. He has wanted this for a while, so thanks for helping him and thanks for the info you gave me.

Kow

sardaddy said:
4. How would you evaluate a subordinate who you rarely supervise directly.

I'm going to show pure bias here... answer this one with, "I would have
to consult with my Chief regarding the subordinate, trusting his or her
judgement, and evaluate accordingly."

As I said... pure bias on my part.;)

Mudkow and happybear, I am glad I could help. I think it is a great program. Any time I see someone working through the DCA process I try to help as I can. I went in blind and it wasn't pretty. I stumbled through everything and got lucky in the end.

Happybear,

Be prepared to discuss why you are leaving your current service (Navy I assume). Make sure you can do so without being negative, which can be tougher than it sounds if you haven't thought about it ahead of time. I interviewed a guy that seemed to have it all going for him, but when we asked that question he started talking some serious $hit about the Marine Corps, and how messed up the leadership in his current command was. Needless to say it did not turn out well for him. Just a thought.

Fly Safe,

ck130

Many Thanks...

I spent some time in NOLA earlier today with a buddy from flight school practicing my upcoming interview. I also had the chance to meet some great guys who were in my shoes not too long ago. I have to say all of you CG guys, both from this forum and those with whom I've met in person have been most helpful. I greatly appreciate every bit of your time as well as the valuable knowledge you've passed on and hope someday to be able to do the same for someone else. I also hope to be able to serve with you in the near future.
HB

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back