CO pilots STICK IT TO THE MAN!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ultrarunner

How can you not respect these guys/girls! God bless 'em!

"A federal judge Monday tossed out a Continental Airlines lawsuit accusing nine pilots of getting sham divorces so their ex-spouses could collect the pilots' retirement benefits while they kept flying." That’s from The Associated Press, which reports that while the judge said he didn't necessarily condone the pilots' actions, the law did not allow him to rule in Continental’s favor.
The Houston Chronicle writes that "in Monday's decision, U.S. District Judge Gray Miller ruled that regardless of the pilots' intentions, employers and pension plan administrators are not arbiters of the legitimacy of divorces." Miller granted the pilots' motion to dismiss the case. Continental officials say the company is considering an appeal.
As for the alleged sham, AP writes Continental "said it paid out between $10 million and $11 million in suspicious pension distributions. Some individual payments were as much as $900,000, according to court papers. The airline said some of the pilots concealed the divorces from children and friends, then remarried their spouses after getting the money."
The Chronicle adds this explanation: “In its lawsuit, Continental alleged that the pilots filed for divorce but continued to live with their spouses, and never mentioned the divorces to their children and friends. The federal law that governs employer-sponsored retirement plans allows pre-retirement payments to former spouses. Once divorced, the pilots' ex-spouses used this provision to collect lump-sum distributions of the pilots' pension plans, worth up to $900,000 per pilot. In its lawsuit, Continental called the divorces 'subterfuges or sham transactions.' "

So what about the one pilot that said he would pay the company back so he could keep his job.

I don't see anything here being "stuck to the man".

People broke the law, conspired together, didn't even tell their kids and expected to keep their jobs, seniority, pay and call themselves Airline Pilots, represented by ALPA with it's code of ethics.

They can take that scab mentality and shovel it up their ...

I might not have all the facts, correct me if I am wrong, please.

First off EMB, I wasn't aware they were charged with a crime. The lawsuit against them was dismissed. Or am I missing something. These guys found a loophole and took advantage of it.

And secondly, I cannot BELIEVE you used the words 'ALPA' and 'code of ethics' in the same sentence!

Stuck it to his fellow man (pilots).....

People broke the law, conspired together, didn't even tell their kids and expected to keep their jobs, seniority, pay and call themselves Airline Pilots, represented by ALPA with it's code of ethics.

I don't see CAL doing anything but guarding the sanctity of retirement fund for ALL future retirees..... If everyone did this, it would immediately bankrupt the retirement fund and all the pilots would suffer.

The way I see it, the "stuck to the man" and the man is in the form of their fellow pilots......

Guess it's "OK" because they got theirs........

And secondly, I cannot BELIEVE you used the words 'ALP' and 'code of ethics' in the same sentence!

See?

It is a problem and actions like that change people's view of the world.

I don't think I could continue working as a pilot or be a Union member after faking a divorce and taking a bunch of money from my employer (no matter how terrible the place is) that does not belong to me in truthful review of the situation.

Am I holier then thou? Was I raised in the 50's and honesty and clear conscience are never coming back?

Is it a crime or is there a problem with our judicial system? The Court simply said - it is not for the company to decide if the divorces were faked.
Well, look at those couples when they got the money. Care to name any who lived separately?

While it'll be hard to fix the judicial system, we have much better chance of fixing the Union. We just need to get INVOLVED more! :)

I don't see CAL doing anything but guarding the sanctity of retirement fund for ALL future retirees..... If everyone did this, it would immediately bankrupt the retirement fund and all the pilots would suffer.

The way I see it, the "stuck to the man" and the man is in the form of their fellow pilots......

Guess it's "OK" because they got theirs........

Couldn't agree more. Scab mentality poisoned CAL for many years to come. And there is no fix for it.

I here what you're saying EMB, but sometimes there is a fine line between loopholes and fraud.

I seem to recall this happening over at Delta too before their pensions were raped...not sure there was a big outcry over there as I think that was done more quietly....

Now obviously the CAL folks that did this could have constructed and executed the plan much better....and likely have avoided the public display...but I don't think they were too worried about it.

Are they still all online, or were they all terminated and have lost their jobs?

Guilty

If it looks, swims and quacks like a duck...

Latest resources

Back