• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

100/hour/5y

Delta cares about Safety... CO cares about Money

Delta drops Friday flights to Mumbai
Friday November 28, 4:28 pm ET Delta drops Friday flights to Mumbai; Continental still planning its flights

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Delta Air Lines canceled its Mumbai flights again on Friday as the State Department warned that American lives are still at risk there. However, Continental Airlines Inc. planned to maintain its daily service from Newark, N.J.
Delta "We continue to monitor the situation and will resume service only if we determine it is safe to do so," she said. Delta was waiving fees for rescheduling or canceling tickets to Mumbai.

Co deadheads the IRO while all other Major's work them...

CO Pilots WE need to Wake up and smell the coffee... How can we demand a good contract well we can't stand up to mgt on a safety issues.

Where is the UNION LEADERSHIP? 777 PILOTS CALL in SICK...

CAL 757FO= 6 crossing a month for less then $6000 a month...

This Place sucks... DELTA or FedEx when are you hiring?

Word around the campfire is that the crews that worked the last flights to BOM on DL, rode back to the states and didnt even get off the plane in BOM; and the crew that worked back rode there; and that DL had a crew in country that they had to move heaven and earth to get them back to the real world without passports or their company IDs since from what a friend told me (NWA flight crew with the union) theirs was an escape.

Neither DAL nor NWA have any crews in country right now. Does CAL?

Not yet....Sooner rather than later though.

Delta takes corporate and crew security seriously. Mike Q, DAL's head security guy until the merger has done a great job with this.

YES... CO has crews in Mumbai and we are sending more...

Infact... on the 27th one went out and we have another one going tonight on the 28th...

Sometimes we "CO pilots" have to move Heaven and Earth just to Upgrade a Jumpseater....

Do you really think that CO mgt cares about Crews... We had a hurricane that went through Houston and 2 pilots had their probation extended due to listening to the "family first" pilot bulletin published by the company.

We like to say SAFETY 1st... But

Last edited:
I honestly don't see the big deal in sending crews back to Mumbai. The terrorist attack has been isolated to one hotel and that appears to have come to an end.

Did CAL and DAL pull out of Madrid, London, New York, or even Oklahoma City after major terrorist attacks? At what point is it safe to return?

Imagine if every airline pulled out of Mumbai for a week or two; what message does this send the terrorists? What about those in the US who desperately want to get back to India to see family involved in the shootings?

Personally, I wouldn't want to fly to Mumbai right now. But if it were on my line, I'd do it.

It has to do with crew safety not the safety of the city. We at Delta have a process to vet the hotels we stay in. I am sure that we have to go through that process now. (I will leave it at that)

That one hotel happens to be where some crews stay and is still under firer. The Crew van to the Hotel that is another story...
It is easy to talk big... Until you have been on the ground and been under fire....

S/F

Last edited:
Certainly if the crew hotel is under fire than there is not choice other than to cancel flights. However, if the hotel your crew stays in is not involved than I really don't see an issue.

And yes, it's easy to talk "big" until you're under fire. But that's just my point. The terrorist event is over. There is no fire.

Imagine if airlines pulled out of Tel-Aviv every time there was a terrorist event.

I don't fault Delta for doing what they have to given the circumstances, but at the same time I don't think it's reckless for CAL, BA, Swiss, or any other airline to resume service.

I wonder if we had any revenue pax on that return flight with the crew members on it? I bet a lot of people wanted out of India. Delta seems to take care of their people most of the time. They did for Hurricane Katrina too.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back