• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CO Aircraft Assignments

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was hired on the 737 in EWR, Apr 18 class. I am still on reserve, it looks like I'll get off reserve in December, but over the summer they really didn't hire much over the summer though.. As it ramps up over the winter for the summer flying reserve time should be shorter.

If someone wanted to hustle, and I mean be willing to work as much as possible to maximize income, how much could someone make 1st year on the 737 vs the 756 in EWR. I'm assuming the first 6 months on he 756 will be reserve and thus 76hrs.

Thanks.

Well, you only get $29.97. Even if you work 20 hrs more a month that is only $600, before taxes. Best to stay home and enjoy the time off the first year (if you can with PBS).

In my class (last December) the 757 went senior. It varies every class but generally most people seem to want to avoid EWR so it does tend to go junior. If you want IAH 757 it will probably take a year. If you want to be in Houston, you should definitely bid the 737 because it will happen far more quickly if not immediately.

If you live near EWR, the 757 is definitely the best choice. Reserve B is not bad at all. The junior pilots are always called first so once you get a few numbers below you, you are not called much.

I haven't flown more than 12 days in a month since March. I rarely get called on short notice and the trips are very predictable - almost exclusively Europe with an occasional Florida turn or maybe a 2-day Vegas. Of course, with Europe you don't work until the evening and you are home early afternoon.

It is a very good quality of life.

Good luck.

In my class (last December) the 757 went senior. It varies every class but generally most people seem to want to avoid EWR so it does tend to go junior. If you want IAH 757 it will probably take a year. If you want to be in Houston, you should definitely bid the 737 because it will happen far more quickly if not immediately.

If you live near EWR, the 757 is definitely the best choice. Reserve B is not bad at all. The junior pilots are always called first so once you get a few numbers below you, you are not called much.

I haven't flown more than 12 days in a month since March. I rarely get called on short notice and the trips are very predictable - almost exclusively Europe with an occasional Florida turn or maybe a 2-day Vegas. Of course, with Europe you don't work until the evening and you are home early afternoon.

It is a very good quality of life.

Good luck.

I agree! The quality of life on the 757 has been great. I was hired in October 05' and it went junior because a few guys in my class wanted IAH. Lucky for me, they continued to hire on the 757 and I only had to sit reserve for two months. I'm about 75% right now and projected to be a 55% by the end of the last bid. I can't touch the 767-400 and I don't expect to for a long time but the trips have been pretty cool. I'm in Berlin right now and just got back from Check Point Charlie.

My suggestion is bid what you want to fly and worry about the rest later. If you want Houston or CLE though I would bid the 737.

Good luck and welcome to CAL:beer:

The 777 will be another option. It will be going to new hires within the next couple months. You will be on reserve for a long time though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back