• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CO 737 off runway in DEN

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not to mention take-off weight vs. landing weight when discussing high-speed rejects vs. continuing. That is where brake energy will bite you.

Skipper

If you're using the tiller at high speeds you're doing it wrong. Way too sensitive.

Exactly. There's a reason the pedals only have 7 degrees of authority over the nosewheel. Much more than that and you lose traction on the nosewheel (like a locked tire). That's why the manual says not to use the tiller above taxi speeds.

It always amazes me, Mr. B how many pilots are eager to armchair "analyze" an accident and how many of them are totally wrong when the NTSB report comes out.

I believe the FO has stated that they were somewhere between 85-95 knots when things started to happen. If you are at V1 with 8,000 feet remaining is aborting a bad thing? Not trying to start an argument, just being hypothetical.

The runway doesn't get any wider.

Most of the incidents on rejected takeoffs at high speed involve the aircraft departing the side of the runway, rather than the end.

Just another thing to consider when you contemplate aborting takeoff above V1.

FJ

It always amazes me, Mr. B how many pilots are eager to armchair "analyze" an accident and how many of them are totally wrong when the NTSB report comes out.

If only we could clone these "monday morning quarterbacks", there would be no more accidents.

Latest resources

Back