• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jarhead

master of my domain
Comair mechanics reject contract
By Alexander Coolidge
Post staff reporter

Rank-and-file Comair mechanics have rejected a five-year contract proposal that would have awarded them a 2 percent pay raise.

The development might kill the airline's plan to add 35 new jets, a plan that was contingent on labor deals with all three of its unions.

Joe Tiberi, a spokesman for the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, said union officials will talk with its 400 members at Comair to determine what the sticking points were. They'll then head back to the bargaining table with management, he said.

Union members had been voting since last week on the tentative deal that was hammered out between union and company negotiators. Comair mechanics will be continue to be covered under the terms of the expired contract.

Tiberi declined to discuss the possibility of a strike, but noted that federal laws governing aviation labor negotiations would require several additional steps -- such as calling in a mediator -- before a strike was possible. He also declined to speculate on the rejection's implications on Comair's growth proposal. He said the union's first priority was getting a new contract for its members.

The union did not release details of the vote, such as the margin of the defeat and the number of mechanics participating in balloting. The union said earlier today it would release results on Friday, but officials changed their minds.

The rejected proposal would have given mechanics a 2 percent raise starting June 1, with the understanding the wages portion of the contract would be subject to renewed negotiation June 1, 2006. Mechanics pay currently ranges from $12.01 per hour to $21.97.

Comair spokesman Nick Miller declined to say whether the rejection would complicate Comair's plan to get new aircraft contingent on three labor deals.

Comair, with a fleet of 164 jets but no new aircraft deliveries on the horizon, has told its three unions it can jump start its expansion if pilots and flight attendants agree to a pay freeze and mechanics agree to a modest 2 percent raise.

The 1,700-member pilots union expects to reveal full details of its proposed contract changes on Saturday. As of Wednesday night, no ratification vote had been scheduled. But the union will put on a series of informational presentations for pilots Saturday through Wednesday.

Negotiators for both Comair and the 1,000 flight attendants, whose current contract doesn't expire until 2007, are due back at the bargaining table today.

If the Mechanics in fact will not take the contract, or if the FA's would not accept a freeze, perhaps the pilots would be taking a freeze for nothing if the FA’s and Mx quash Fred’s idea. If there will be no growth due to the other two unions putting the kibosh on the deal, why would the pilots even consider a yes vote to the F.B. proposal? Maybe the game is over before it even starts.

jarhead said:
If the Mechanics in fact will not take the contract, or if the FA's would not accept a freeze, perhaps the pilots would be taking a freeze for nothing if the FA’s and Mx quash Fred’s idea. If there will be no growth due to the other two unions putting the kibosh on the deal, why would the pilots even consider a yes vote to the F.B. proposal? Maybe the game is over before it even starts.

Who says there has to be concessions for growth anyway. FB can talk all he wants but the aircraft go where ever Delta wants them.

There is no freeze if we don't get the airplanes, at least that is the rumor/idea. So a yes wouldn't matter.

Congrats to the mechanics who seem to have the courage of their convictions.

JetPilot_Mike said:
There is no freeze if we don't get the airplanes, at least that is the rumor/idea. So a yes wouldn't matter.

I guess I’d disagree with that sentiment. If I’m in a high stakes poker game, I think I would rather have the guy sitting across the table from me not to think I was going to fold my hand when my opponent made a large bet.

If the growth would not happen because another union nixed it, I think I’d rather have Fred not thinking that he’d sold his idea to the pilot group. If he believes that he did, the next time around he’d have had a peek at the pilot’s cards in the form of their perhaps timid resolve.

So, if the 35 planes are not coming to Comair because of issues with the mechanic’s union, I would think that a no vote by the pilots might send a strong message without giving up anything, since the tri-fecta bet by Fred did not come through for him.

(sorry about mixing metaphors with the gambling examples of poker and horse racing)

What the ?????

flaps30 said:
we will be punished. so sad.

What in the heck is a 5000 hr T37/T38/A10 pilot doing at comair in the first place???

The only airline that doesn't seem to be undercut by anyone is Trans States.

Latest resources

Back