Closing the door on time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Weasil

On our company message board some flight attendants are saying that the main cabin door must remain open until all the passengers are seated with their seat belts on and all the overhead bins are closed. They say it is an FAR.
Does anybody on here know if this is correct and can they point to the actual FAR number? It is the first I ever heard of this, and is actually contrary to our manual. The only thing I found close to it was
121.589 which states that all carry on baggage must be stowed prior to closing the door.

Thanks in advance.

I'm reaching really far back in my memory, but I don't recall pax having to be seated being an FAR. It may be a company policy, a call to your inflight training department should be able to answer that. But, like you said, it IS an FAR that all luggage be stowed prior to door closing. That's so no luggage is found that will not stow anywhere in the cabin after the door's been closed and it's now impossible to get it out of the cabin to go down below (or in back or wherever it may need to go).

Thanks, our company policy is to close the door immediately upon receipt of the final bag count from the ramp. This is why this came up because a FA was saying that this policy is contrary to an FAR but noone seems to know what that FAR is, I personally am wondering if it even exists.
Thanks for the input.

I dont recall that being a FAR. We are so slow getting the bag count at ASA that everyone is usually seated anyway.

FARs require that the cabin be compliant before departure (bags stowed, elecs off, tray tables up, etc.). Company policy will determine when the door can actually be closed.

The door closure and compliance are two different things.

If the Captain calls for early door closure, the FA complies, the FA does not have the cabin in complinace and the Captain calls for push back, the ramp pushes the plane back... the FA has vioalted an interpretation of the FARs.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back