• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Clipped Wings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't try to blow your head off. It usually winds up a botched job, with a bunch of skin grafts and tons of plastic surgery to be enjoyed for a long time. It wouldn't be prudent. Tomorrow's another day, sleep on it and you'll feel alot better about things.

skyking1976 said:
Actually, it was a Navajo. I was flying to ABQ when it happened. I think he was doing stupid stuff too like scud running. The NTSB report said there was no evidence of mechanical abnormality prior to impact. Sounds like CFIT to me.

Skyking

I've always felt it was poor form to piss on someone's grave. Although your amateur analysis could very well be correct there is also a chance it could be wrong. A buddy of mine at another airline watched a captain track a false glideslope signal. Had he not realized it they would have been a mysterious CFIT accident themselves. I know nothing of this KeyLime accident but I do know that the accident aircraft was not equipped with a FDR or CVR. There are probably no radar records if he was VFR in the mountains. You've got some nerve drawing a conclusion in a public forum. It's bad enough that lawyers are quick to condemn dead pilots that can't defend themselves. You think they need more help?

TurboS7...sometimes it's the only way...

I flew under an 800 ft overcast with light drizzle all the way from MKE to Meigs at about 600 to 700 feet over Lake MI once. Three miles vis was about as good as it got and the drizzle on the windshield made it seem like less.

Used the radar altimeter, auto pilot and GPS to stay on course, out of the water and well off shore. Set the radar up for terrain mapping, just in case.

By the time I got to Meigs, the three IFR's that were shooting the approach went off to Midway after the first one went missed. I was then given the special VFR and proceeded to the airport and landed. I had set my self up to orbit east of the field 6 miles out, untill they gave me that special SVFR. When they advised me that those 3 IFRs were leaving the CGX area and heading for MDW, all I had to do was fly west for a few minutes and enter the pattern midway for the downwind after I got my clearance.

I was flying a Chieftan at the time, repositioning to pick up 135 pax. I'd do it again if I had to. This wasn't a situation that I just happened to find myself thrust into...it was THE PLAN.

In fact, charter pilots that I knew, would shoot the ILS approach over at Waukegan and break it off early...then fly south on the shoreline VFR to land at Meigs. Rather than get shuffled all over the place by Chicago Center and possibly never make into CGX, because of the high MDA on their approaches at Meigs.

I owned a Part 135 out of DPA for 12 years. We flew PA31's,Aztec's, C-206's, and PA32's and C-182's. In the winter especially we flew VFR day and night all over the midwest in all kinds of weather. When there was a bunch of icing above you had to skud run below. We had no GPS, no Loran, no anything, just a chart, compass and we followed specified routes. We would check pilots out on these "skud run routes" before we would cut them loose. Nothing in the midwest ever compared to what I flew in Alaska, nothing compares to that. Even today I think about the kind of weather I flew there and where I landed and I am amazed.

Dave Benjamin said:
I've always felt it was poor form to piss on someone's grave. Although your amateur analysis could very well be correct there is also a chance it could be wrong. A buddy of mine at another airline watched a captain track a false glideslope signal. Had he not realized it they would have been a mysterious CFIT accident themselves. I know nothing of this KeyLime accident but I do know that the accident aircraft was not equipped with a FDR or CVR. There are probably no radar records if he was VFR in the mountains. You've got some nerve drawing a conclusion in a public forum. It's bad enough that lawyers are quick to condemn dead pilots that can't defend themselves. You think they need more help?

Nerve has absolutely nothing to do with it, son. What I posted on this board were conclusions drawn by the NTSB and insight of fellow coworkers of the involved party. Statements were made to the effect that the pilot had, prior to the accident, been performing careless maneuvers while in company aircraft. This, coupled by the fact that there were no malfunctions apparent before the time of impact points in the general direction of CFIT/pilot error. While sad and tragic, myself and many others believe that this accident could have been easily averted. My deepest sympathies and condolences are forever with his family.

Unfortunately, and far too often, we learn from the mistakes of others in this industry. For me it was this one in particular as well as a personal experience with an engine failure. I no longer fly VFR-on-top over mountainous terrain. Period. When flying an aircraft that will allow you to make more than the minimum altitude over ANY terrain for that matter, wouldn't you want to put a little extra buffer zone between terra firma and yourself just in case the unexpected happens. No? Ok then. Put your wife and kids in the back of the plane. If that doesn't change your mind, I'm not totally convinced of your good judgement and decision making abilities.

Getting there only counts if you make there alive.

Fly SAFE, folks...

SK

Latest resources

Back