Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CopilotDoug

Captain of Industry
Anybody from the area? I am looking at moving there and was looking for any advice as to areas to stay away from or good areas, etc. Thanks!

Area to stay away from: Cleveland. My sincerest condolences. Make sure you buy a heavy-duty snow shovel, the biggest snow blower you can find, and plenty of Prozac!

Probably accounts for the high suicide rates in the winter

Cleveland, aka "The Mistake on the Lake!"

Hello,
I live in Sandusky, just west of Cleveland. There are a few decent places to live around the city from what I heard. Avon, Avon Lake, Westlake, Strongsville. I'm not sure what your looking for though. Some of these places can be pricey. I would stay away from the city itself.
As mentioned above, I would buy a heavy duty snow shovel for your porch, I nice snowblower for the sidewalks and I would get a 4x4 vehicle with a plow for your driveway.

Ken
Don't bother bringing sunglasses, you won't need them.

I've lived in Cleveland my entire life, so let me clear up a few things. First, we didn't actually get that much snow this year. The ski places really took a beating. A normal snow shovel is fine unless you have a mile long driveway.

The city has improved since it got the title, "Mistake on the Lake". We really have had some bum mayors for the last 10 years.

In terms of where to live - it depends on where you will be working. If you are working at CLE, then Berea, Middleburg Heights, and even Strongsville are decent areas. The further out you go, the more expensive the housing. Strongsville is not cheap. Brookpark is kind of questionable. There is a lot of factory housing because of the Ford and GM plants. There are also alot of strip clubs and bars, so it is not the best place for a family. Also, you might want to avoid the near eastside. That is the highest crime area.

For commuting, it is important to be near major highways since just about all of the airports are accessable by them. I-480 is possibly the best thing that Cleveland ever did as is the Jennings Freeway. I live in Cleveland in Old Brooklyn. I am basically as far south as you can go in Cleveland. The community is good and safe, nothing super fancy. I am also right on 480 so I have quick and easy access to anywhere. I can get to Hopkins in 15 minutes or Downtown in 10 minutes. Of course, during rush hour things are slower.

If you let me know where you need to be I can give you more specific information. Really, Cleveland is OK despite what the rest of the country likes to believe. Yes, there is sun in the summer, spring, and fall. It is just the winter that can sometimes drag on. This last one didn't though.

Feel free to PM me if you want more specifics.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the feedback

I don't care what Drew Carey says; Cleveland sucks!

Seriously though, when I was based there, I lived in Lakewood. Really nice and quiet, and the roughest thing to deal with is the "lover boys" wearing their daisy dukes in the summer.

Strongsville, Brookpark...I've heard are good.

Stay away from Elyria and Parma...lots of crime.

Get close to I480 if you want to get anywhere.

If you're flying in/out of CLE on a regular basis, be ready for

"N____ descend and maintain 11,000 slow to 170 knots fly heading XXX vectors ILS XX approach"

"Sir we've got the field in sight"

"...roger then it'll be short vectors to the ILS XX approach...slow to 165 knots"

...or something along those lines.

-mini

Parma isn't a high crime area. It is very ethnic, that is true. There is a large population of eastern European (Polish, Serbian, Romanian, etc.), but crime wise, it is no worse than anywhere else. Most of my family lives in Parma.

Seven Hills, Brecksville, Broadview Heights are also OK. They are just more expensive and a little bit out of the way from any airports.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back