• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cleared To Airport or VOR?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That is true but the name of the airport is not Omaha...it is Eppley. Like Louisville...direct to Louisville is different that direct to Standiford.

Interesting point you make and I like it.

My next question does ATC know the names of the fields? Or are they most likely only familiar with OMA being Omaha, and not Eppley? Especially late at night when ATL Center clears you all the way there from the get go.

Also, have any of the above responses been from an ATC person? Would like to hear from somebody on that side too.

Interesting point you make and I like it.

My next question does ATC know the names of the fields? Or are they most likely only familiar with OMA being Omaha, and not Eppley? Especially late at night when ATL Center clears you all the way there from the get go.

Also, have any of the above responses been from an ATC person? Would like to hear from somebody on that side too.

ATC does not know the name of every single airport in the world. Always confirm "direct Kilo Lima Alpha Xray" et etc, and WRITE IT DOWN on your little pad

get it on the box so you are covered when 5 sectors later the center controller doesn't question what you heard

Its all the same, just go somewhere and do what you want.

Climbing through 23 out of LRD: Looking for direct Willow Run!?!

Houston: "Approved as requested, clrd direct Deeeeeeetroit, proceed direct Willow Run..."

Set heading bug to something that appears it will take you near the state of Michigan, then punch in GPS, fine tune heading, crosscheck XTK and such throughout flight! Cruise FL350, do not "really" start down until about 75 miles out, maybe 85? Depends. Get descents from ATC, make minimal effort and very shallow descent until they ask your rate, then increase maybe 500fpm until they leave you alone, or meet their silly crossing restrictions.

IMHO...they should never give and off airport VOR the same ID as the airport, like they did at BTR.

FYI... Many times going into BTR I have had center say cleared to the BTR "VOR" then the airport. They know that BTR is a problem and will specifically say when they need you over the VOR first. If they don't say that, then it's the KBTR airport, since that is in my flight plan.

hope this helps.

A few years ago the FAA started changing the names of the VOR that were not colocated. So Bakersfield became Shafter, Porterville became Tule, Fresno became Clovis, Reno was changed to Mustang, and so on. But in typical FAA fashion they never finished the job.

I've only got a clearance to the field in if the field is VMC. Has anyone gotten this clearance when the field is IFR? Anyway if it's VMC lost and you loose coms you are to proceed VFR which would be direct to the field (if that's where you want to go).

I'll tell you this... Back in the TWA days, when STL was a zoo, going direct to the airport when you were cleared "direct St. Louis" was grounds for immediate beheading.

I had a controller clear me to Hartford and I asked him if he meant the airport or the VOR. He said in radar coverage it didn't matter as long as they are within five miles of each other. I'm not sure if there is any reference material for this of if he was making it up.

That is true but the name of the airport is not Omaha...it is Eppley. Like Louisville...direct to Louisville is different that direct to Standiford.

I dissagree with that logic. You still get your clearance to land from "Omaha tower" - not "Eppley tower." There are tons of other examples. There is no such thing as the "William B Hartsfield-Jackson International Tower", it is just "Altanta Tower." For our purposes (and ATCs), the name of the airport is whatever is shown on our chart, not what some stupid politician says it's called this week....

And as for VORs that are not located on the airport but have the same name (and identifier), I can think of three without trying very hard - I'm sure there are more...

MGM, JAN, LIT

It's clearly a grey area. I go direct to the airport when I'm given one of these clearances, for what it's worth...

Latest resources

Back