• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Clear Channel gets tough, suspends Stern

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
man i sure will miss Gary the Retard...he was my favorite part of the whole show...

I guess we know what Tom will be talking about today. I know I promised Swass I'd lay off, but hey, it's Thursday and I can't miss class.

They also took off some guy in Tampa area (Bubba?). While I'm not a fan of either my concern is who will be doing the policing? The guberment or the stations themselves? While Stern may be objectionable to a lot of people I also think this is limiting "free" speech. Who knows Rush or Tom L. could be next?!!.
Maybe it is paving the way for "cable" radio, that is pay as you go.

I also think this is limiting "free" speech.

Read the constitution and get an understanding of what free speech is. These guys were not making political statements or protesting the government. They were spewing filth and trash and the stations carrying them dumped them.

If these guys are carrying out "meaningful discourse" in your mind then complain to the stations that yanked them.

Censorship works, if done correctly.

Censorship is not a violation of free speech rights.

Before you flame me, realize that there are many types of government-prohibited speech.

bart said:
If these guys are carrying out "meaningful discourse" in your mind then complain to the stations that yanked them.

Think I may not have made myself clear, what I'm implying is that we potentially may be going down a slippery slope regarding what can or can't be said. The same people who declare Howard Stern off limits could also declare Rush Limbaugh or a religious broadcast off limits. That is the (potential) danger I see. As long as it is people who we like being judge and jury we're OK with it but what happens if someone like Hillary Clinton becomes judge and jury?
On another note, find it odd they're going after shock jocks when TV has their own issues as well. Granted, much of it is on cable and not "free" TV. Kind of reminds me of the (phony) anti-smoking campaign a few years ago. The media, et.al. claimed the children were being harmed and they were just helpless little kids. Yet when it came to refraining from sex the media said the kids are going to do it no matter what and to treat them like adults. Go figure.

The government did not shut down howard. Clear Channel did. Clear channel is one of the biggest, meanest, worst, ugly, smelly, stifling music industry companies in the world. They censor everything, after 9/11 they releases a 500+ song list of songs not to play on their stations. Clear Channel is a horrible force in the music industry who stop creativity, and support bland commercial music, versus creative and artistic works. If you want to see more N*suck, j-lo, and pi-diddy music in the coming years, then listen to clear channel....(and yes they play nelly too)

**BUSY RAGING AGAINST THE MACHINE**

BornAgainPagan said:
I agree, he doesn't entertain me. That said, this shock-jockism might have been effective long ago, but now, it's middle of the road radio. Just look at who carries Stern's show, Clear Channel Communications, the mega "McRadio" chain with it's lowest common denominator (music, talk, news, etc.) programing. They did to radio what USA Today did to newspapers. What a shame. The next president needs to get Bush's buddy out of the FCC so they can step in and knock down this monopoly.

perhaps because everyone is different and has different tastes, senses of humor, just like i don't understand how any one finds that drivel that jim carrey keeps putting out is funny, adam sandler stopped being particularly funny to me after the 30th viewing of happy gilmore

to each their own

Latest resources

Back