Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cleaning your windscreen - what do you use?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Neal

Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
Had a good chat with @Hunter last night as a new CubCrafters FX-3 owner and one of the discussion items was why I restructured Flightinfo.com to be a source of sharing information among aircraft owners such as the many topics we discussed, things I learned and discussed with @Tsquared etc. One of the questions came up about how I clean my windscreen, what do I use, etc. Flightinfo.com is here so we don't have closed looped discussions but to allow us to share what we learn so others can learn from the questions and answers. So please share your tips, if you have questions, ask them. As my father told me growing up; the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

In the CubCrafters world from what I've heard people use window cleaner products such as ZEP foaming glass cleaner, spray wax, Pledge (which is a fine aerosol wax), etc. I don't know the right or wrong answer and the problem comes in when bugs are involved and you have to scrub a little harder and try to not swirl but clean in the wind direction. I typically use a Turtle Wax spray wax or Pledge.

A question came up about microfiber cloths that I use, I recently bought a set of even higher quality finer cloths but companies such as Chemical Guys are good ones to research as they are big into auto detailing. Also Aero Cosmetics which I linked in another thread but I'll add below for reference.

If you have any tips to share on how you clean your windscreen and avoid swirls or any types of marks please share.

Amazon product ASIN B00A8MZ7IA
These are the new ones (blue) that I have not used yet:

Amazon product ASIN B071JLQ387
Amazon product ASIN B07DX9ZXQX

I have found that “ClearView” products work well on EX-2. Use two - one is just cleaner (green can) and another is cleaner, protectant and polish ( blue can). Both can be found on Amazon.

For overall Aircraft cleaning, I use Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All. For greasy areas Chemical Guys Orange Degreaser. 303 Protectant on tires.

For glass (windscreen and lights) I use Pledge and a microfiber cloth.

also the cleaning motion is vertical only, no circles or horizontal movements

For glass (windscreen and lights) I use Pledge and a microfiber cloth.

also the cleaning motion is vertical only, no circles or horizontal movements
A question. I have used Pledge on rental aircraft that didn't get bugs removed regularly, so it wasn't being used all the time. I've heard some claim that it eventually yellows the plexiglass. Of course, that might come from vertical marketing strategy. If you are using it regularly, what has been your experience?

I’ve used pledge on my plane since new 3 yrs ago. To date no issues with yellowing and I do let it sit for a few minutes before wiping things down. For stubborn bugs, I reapply and let it sit for another few minutes.

Using glass cleaner on your plexiglass is a mistake. There is alcohol in glass cleaner that works well as a solvent on bug splats. The problem is that the alcohol will eventually craze the plexiglass and lead to premature replacement. If you happen to have a glass windshield [ie. most turboprops and jets], glass cleaner is great. Even glass windshields have some restrictions because some are treated with a coating to make rain sheet off and the alcohol in glass cleaner removes this. Only water is approved for cleaning these.

Over many years, I have seen no ill effects from using Pledge and have used it myself. It does not get bugs off the surface as well as a dedicated plexiglass cleaner.

If my windshield is really plastered with bugs, I will use running water and my fingernail tp get the worst of them off before using plexiglass cleaner. If running water is not available, I use a spray bottle of water to keep the surface continuously wet while I'm working on it. This can usually be avoided by cleaning the windshield at the end of every flying day.

As mentioned in previous posts, avoid rotary motion while polishing.

What I don't quite understand is how people can spend the money to buy an airplane and be too cheap to buy the correct cleaning product to use on their investment.

Using glass cleaner on your plexiglass is a mistake. There is alcohol in glass cleaner that works well as a solvent on bug splats. The problem is that the alcohol will eventually craze the plexiglass and lead to premature replacement. If you happen to have a glass windshield [ie. most turboprops and jets], glass cleaner is great. Even glass windshields have some restrictions because some are treated with a coating to make rain sheet off and the alcohol in glass cleaner removes this. Only water is approved for cleaning these.

Over many years, I have seen no ill effects from using Pledge and have used it myself. It does not get bugs off the surface as well as a dedicated plexiglass cleaner.

If my windshield is really plastered with bugs, I will use running water and my fingernail tp get the worst of them off before using plexiglass cleaner. If running water is not available, I use a spray bottle of water to keep the surface continuously wet while I'm working on it. This can usually be avoided by cleaning the windshield at the end of every flying day.

As mentioned in previous posts, avoid rotary motion while polishing.

What I don't quite understand is how people can spend the money to buy an airplane and be too cheap to buy the correct cleaning product to use on their investment.
I was also worried about using foaming glass cleaner on a plexiglass windscreen, but Cubcrafters included it in my cleaning kit when I took delivery of the aircraft, and it's listed in the manual, as well.
I've been cautious not to swirl or press too hard against the windscreen, but if looking up into the sun from the inside, I can see a couple of extremely faint "scratches" that I wouldn't classify as scratches (can't feel them and difficult to see), and I started to worry all over again that what was recommended might be causing an issue.

It isn't something that can be seen without carefully looking for it, but it's motivated me to change paths.

Regarding pledge: I assume the normal, store-bought, lemon pledge? I'm guessing this makes removing future bugs easier and applies some oily protection to the windscreen. Do y'all think there is any merit to the concern of discoloration?

Plexiglass cleaner: Are there any brands, types yall would recommend? Any concerns with using this on an every flight basis?

f my windshield is really plastered with bugs, I will use running water and my fingernail tp get the worst of them off before using plexiglass cleaner.
So you only use the plexiglass for sticky bugs, ideally using water after each flight to clean the windscreen? How does your use of pledge fit into this scheme?

Thanks,

Hunter

I was given a plexiglass cleaner in my kit (aerosol). I use the lemon pledge (nothing special) just spray on and wipe off with your best micro-fiber you can find in "wind direction" pattern of wiping, no swirling.

Hunter, I don't use Pledge on the windshield, although I would if Plexiglass cleaner wasn't available. I don't think Pledge does any harm. Plexiglass cleaner just works better.

If the windshield is covered with dust or plastered with bugs, I use running water and my hand to gently remove the contamination first. If you're careful, thorough, and dry the windshield with a microfiber towel, you won't need to polish it with the plexiglass cleaner afterwords. The main idea is to remove the contamination before polishing the windshield. This is the cleaning technique plexiglass manufacturers tell you to use.

Latest resources

Back