Classical Airliners On Tour

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sky37d

The AirZoo, Kalamazoo Aviation History Museum, has a Tri-Motor. A guy I know flew it. It currently is down for repair/restoration, after they found some corrosion. The pilots are all volunteers.

So, as a suggestion, find someone who has the kind of airplane you want to fly, and volunteer your time.

I spent a lot of time next to an air museum, and this is my take.

There is an entire platoon of people who spend a great deal of their time restoring aircraft. Some of these guys are former mechanics and crewmembers. I think the guy that flies the "fuddy Duddy" B-17 (from a different air museum) is a 767 captain, and has a lot of time in round engined airplanes from years ago. I talked to a lot of guys at one particular show, and I think I have this info correct.

I think if you are young, start now as a volunteer, and network well, you could eventually fly these airplanes.

I've had this idea for a while: wouldn't it be great if someone opened an airliner museum that was modeled after a conventional airline terminal? The exhibits, movies, etc. would be in the "Main Terminal," then you could have three "concourses." One for the 1930's-1950's, with a Trimotor, a DC-3, Constellation, etc. Another for the '60's-'80's, with a 707, DC-9, L-1011. And a third for today with a 757 and a A320.

It'd be great fun...and think of the marketing value it would have for the airlines! I'm surprised it hasn't been done yet.

Vintage airline museum

Typhoon1244 said:
I've had this idea for a while: wouldn't it be great if someone opened an airliner museum that was modeled after a conventional airline terminal . . . . It'd be great fun...and think of the marketing value it would have for the airlines! I'm surprised it hasn't been done yet.
That's a great idea! I would go, and maybe even send a contribution.

I can still remember my first airline flights when I was a child. They were on DC-7s and Connies. I remember the elegance of it all - in Coach! The stories you only hear about now about the ladies wearing gloves and the men wearing suits are all true. I can just imagine the elegance of First Class.

Wouldn't Ernie Gann love it?

I think it's a great idea. Why not contact the Smithsonian? They are always looking for a clever idea.

They could call it the "Typhoon Terminal". :D

Timebuilder said:
They could call it the "Typhoon Terminal."
(Note to self: I need to change my Flightinfo handle...)

Airline History Museum

It appears that someone has already thought up the idea of an airline museum. It's been done by
Save A Connie, Inc.. But that doesn't mean that another exhibit can't be built.

What a great idea...

Bobby, if I understand correctly, I think SAC's museum exhibit is more conventional than what Typhoon is suggesting. Theirs consists of plexiglass displays located in a hangar. I have toured SAC's connie and I appreciate the immense amount of money and effort they have expended. I think there should be many more groups like them. Typhoon's suggestion of recreating an historically accurate airline terminal for each decade would be the ultimate home to display the fruits of SAC's efforts to the public. It would literally bring history alive for kids of all ages.

What about all the unused space now at Lambert? It'd be perfect for a TWA Museum. Ideally, the SAC Connie would make rock-star-like appearances, and you could park other TWA metal on the ramp (pulled up to a jetway if appropriate) and restore the concourse to historically accurate decor for each aircraft. Have as many hands-on exhibits as possible. It should be as much a 'working' museum as possible, with working ramp personnel, gate agents, pilots, shoe shiners, newspaper stands, cafes, and gift shops. For the 70s terminal, you'd have to have at least one row of those black seats with coin-operated tvs (there's still one in operation at the Bangor, ME terminal). They could be showing documentaries with achival footage of that airport provided by local TV stations.

A movement to convince municipalities nationwide to convert vacant or abandoned terminal space into museums is long overdue. The interest generated by the unique and holistic nature of an exhibit such as this would certainly ease the financial burden of its creation.

Thanks, Typhoon for a great idea. Now it's up to all of us to take the ball and run with it.

It's a terrific idea

travis said:
I think there should be many more groups like them. Typhoon's suggestion of recreating an historically accurate airline terminal for each decade would be the ultimate home to display the fruits of SAC's efforts to the public. It would literally bring history alive for kids of all ages . . . . A movement to convince municipalities nationwide to convert vacant or abandoned terminal space into museums is long overdue. The interest generated by the unique and holistic nature of an exhibit such as this would certainly ease the financial burden of its creation.
Absolutely. It would be a gas to see, e.g., the Stapleton Airport in Denver of the '50s recreated, complete with SkyChef Restaurant.

Speaking of Stapleton, I recall as a child seeing a DC-6 or -7 with both United and maybe Continental liveries painted on it. Fascinating! I believe the term might be "interline loan." You don't see that anymore.

Latest resources

Back