Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

starchkr

New Bus driver
Here is something i have been wondering recently.

If you go to an interview and things go well and you are offered a job, and then you turn the class spot down, would they still look at you again in the future? I only bring this up for those of us who might be looking, but cannot just go on a moments notice like some of you. Is something like this frowned upon, and will it ruin your future chances, or would there still be hope for a person who is too tied up to be immediately available?

Thanks for any input.

When I was hired by American Eagle last year, I turned down two class dates before accepting the third that was offered to me. Of course this was when American Eagle was hiring about 50 pilots per month. Also, if I had taken the first class offered I would have been called back from furlough by now. If I could do it differently, I would do what I had to in order to make the first date offered. I am in the pool for ACA and when they call I will make sure to be in the first training class sheduled.

starchkr,
I have no first hand knowledge myself because I'm still just a wannabe, but...
I remember reading a post at least six months to a year ago by someone who had turned down your own company or tried to postpone till a latter class, and then tried to get hired some time later. He came to the conclusion or was told straight out that you only get the one chance with Airnet. This might be partially because Airnet normally looks at a very narrow range of numbers on experience. Of course, I read it on the internet, so it might be just a load of, um, Codswallop ?

So there's one example of the practice being frowned upon. I suppose it depends on the needs and attitudes of the specific company, and you just have to find out before you send a resume.

BTW, Are you thinking or moving out of Airnet if a jet job comes up somewhere else? I know you're particular about having a "normal" life and if you went to Lears at Airnet it would be on the wrong side of the clock. You must be very close to next in line for a Lear position.

reaperman,

I have been debating the idea of moving on to another company just so i can move somewhere that both my wife and i would like. My "life" with airnet right now is excellent, but our location kind of sucks... the armpit of the south here. (Mississippi) I am actually only 2 or 3 spots from a lear, but i am not sure really what to do. I really would like to fly the lear, but i refuse to take just any spot that comes open, i will wait for a good run that will not kill my lifestyle too much. However, there are really only two places i would take right now, and they should be full for awhile, which is why i have been debating the move. My options are to move on so i can move out west, or wait and fly the lear and hope to get a spot in the west. I don't know, just been debating the options, i am sure i will just hang here until i get a jet i like and then after a thousand hours in the jet begin to debate my options again. Decisions, decisions, decisions!

Starchkr,

For a little background, I spent 5 years at U.S Check, now AirNet. It was a great place to work, and to this day I don't think I will ever again achieve that level of instrument proficiency. As you already know, the night schedule is difficult. However; AirNet is truely a scheduled 135 operator that does things right. Few places in aviation can you fly a trip and consistently be home every day, with three day weekends, like at AirNet. This coupled with job security make it tough to leave. I cannot underscore the the amount of respect for that company, they gave me my first real shot and I'll never forget that.

For me it was a very difficult decision to eventually leave. I turned down my first offer at now out of business United Feeder Service while at AirNet. Then after six months called them back and was extended a position. This was only due to extreme luck and great timing. For me, my aviation career didn't start to accelerate untill I made the difficult decision to leave AirNet. Obviously staying or leaving should be based upon your long term goals, the longer you stay, the harder it is to leave. Believe me, I know. Looking back, the only thing I would have changed is trying to progress my career from Airnet sooner. When you turn down or delay a class date I would strongly consider the implications, and view the worst case scenario. My advice is to take the first good opportunity that comes your way and leads you towards your goals.

Best of Luck

Starchkr

Hey, you fly into Houston Hobbey 5 days a week, dont you? Gotta love the pilot room there at Fletcher!! Glad I am finally gonna get out of TexStar. Good luck to ya and maybe Ill see ya in Houston sometime before I leave. See ya!

Latest resources

Back