Class G Vert Limits

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Isn't there a note in the chart legend that says

"CLASS E AIRSPACE EXISTS AT 1200' AGL UNLESS OTHERWISE DESIGNATED AS SHOWN ABOVE"

Seattle,

No there isn't. That was my point. Everyone assumes that the note is there on all sectionals but it is not! So, again, Class E begins at 14, 500' MSL on this chart unless otherwise designated.

Couple of my bads. I meant to say on the scectional chart base of class E is usually designated, when it is other than 1200 agl, when it is > 1500agl and < 14,500 msl and not > 14,500.
Also the [25] symbol is wrong. It will say 2500 agl or msl.

172driver said:
-------------
" "Isn't there a note in the chart legend that says

"CLASS E AIRSPACE EXISTS AT 1200' AGL UNLESS OTHERWISE DESIGNATED AS SHOWN ABOVE" "

Seattle,

No there isn't. That was my point. Everyone assumes that the note is there on all sectionals but it is not! So, again, Class E begins at 14, 500' MSL on this chart unless otherwise designated."

-------
Yes there is. I got my LA lala chart here. Look off shore from LA towards San Nicolas Island. Bunch of control areas NW of there. In shore of that blue --_--_ line (overlapping kind of like a zipper) designates base of class E at 1200 agl (number not depicted = assumed) - outside of the line you see "5500 msl". That is base of class E there. In-land a good example is on the Las Vegas sectional north side west of Wilson Creek VOR - ILC. V244 is "outlined" with the blue zipper line with 11,500msl inside. That is the base of class E. To the North of V244 is also a notation for "11,500 msl / 14,500 msl ceiling" meaning that Class E base at 11,500 and ceiling at 14,500 -- actually this is a 1994 chart so the term "continental control area" (at 14,500) was in use but still illustrates the point. The Chart legend has all of this under "Airport traffic service and Airspace Information" - "2400 msl --_--_ 4500 msl Differentiates floors of class E greater than 700 agl. Class E airspace exists at 1200 agl unless otherwise designated as shown above". And why do we care about all of this? Mostly because of VFR weather minimums and other requirements/restrictions of certain operators (135/121) to be operating in class G. Hope this helps.

I reread your post 172driver and it occured to me that we maybe missing your point. You would be right to say "Class E starts at 14,500 unless otherwise designated". There are very few places (I can't recall any and I don't have the time to look) where that would be the case. Your sectional chart is full of areas where Class E is designated as indicated in my above post.

cvsfly,

Does your Los Angeles sectional say in the legend, "Class E airspace exists at 1200' AGL unless otherwise designated as shown above" ? Mine doesn't but is a couple yrs old.

I understand how to read the zipper lines and shadings. My point was: if there are no zipper lines, victor airways, shadings on the chart, Class E begins at 14, 500' MSL. This is not true on most sectionals because of the note in the legend bringing the floor of E down to 1200' AGL (Domestic enroute airspace). My L.A. chart does not have this note. Can we agree that Class E begins at 14, 500' MSL if not designated on the chart by other symbols?

Sorry, can't agree. If your LA chart doesn't have that notation, it is probably a miss print. The notation and symbology for the airspace should still be there. It would not be quite as colourful if it wasn't. The only areas on the LA sectional where Class E would start at 14,500 would be near the highest mountain peaks close to 13,000' (i.e. 1500 agl). You should be able to follow the blue shading (I know - kind of hard with all of the other colors) or see the blue "zipper" line.

OK, so your chart has that notation in the legend? I see the blue shading over most of the chart and the zipper lines but...in areas not shaded, zippered, dashed, etc...where does E start? Is it 1200' AGL or 14, 500'MSL? Most sectionals have the notation in the legend bringing ALL E down to 1200' but my LA chart doesn't have it. Does yours specifically say Class E airspace exists at 1200' AGL unless otherwise designated as shown above?

Latest resources

Back