• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Eric

See you in the Wasatch!
Anyone know why this is so?

91.126 (c) Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G airspace

Flap Settings. Except when necessary for training or certification, the pilot in command of a civil turbojet-powered aircraft must use, as a final flap setting, the minimum certificated landing flap setting set forth in the approved perfomance information in the Airplane Flight Manual for the applicable conditions. However, each pilot in command has the final authority and responsibility for the safe operation of the pilot's airplane, and may use a different flap setting for that airplane if the pilot determines that it is necessary in the interest of safety.

I love the "howerver's" in the FAR's.

That just means forget this FAR becuase people are going to do what they want.

LR25

Flaps

The however is the key.

However, I think this applies to aircraft with more than one set of numbers in the AFM/POH when it comes to landing performance / landing speeds on a normal landing. For instance, some (or all I'm not sure) of the 737's have two flap settings for a "normal" landing. In this case, if the Class G airport and conditions allowed, you should use the lesser flap angle.

In the Learjets, only data for flaps full is included in the AFM. However, if a lesser flaps setting is used for an abnormal situation a add on factor is applied. Though it is then "not" considered a normal landing.

I believe the reasoning for this is the lower power setting necessary vs. noise produced, when using a lower flaps setting for the approach and landing.

Latest resources

Back