Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MtrHedAP

Lurker
Is Class G airspace ever depicted? I always thought it was not until i was told and shown I think (it was a few years ago) that it was depicted as a shaded brown in areas where the ceiling of G was greater than 1200 AGL. This would be in mountanous areas such as in a valley. Could have something to do with 14,500 also. Not sure, i dont remember if this is true or i am thinking of something else. Thanks

Look at a Denver sectional or low-enroute chart. Class G is shown in the mountains where no airspace overlies it until 14500'ft.

eP.

The brown shaded areas you refer to can be found on IFR low enroute charts, and yes, it does depict areas were Class G goes up to 14.5k. REmember, it is all Class G airspace up to 14.5k unless depicted otherwise. It just so happens that class G has become increasingly rare at those altitudes and the only time you'll see something depicted on sectionals is if you go to mountainous, rural, terrain ... . It is in the form of blue shaded transition lines.... similar to those used to bring Glass G down from 1200 to 700, just blue. Also you will notice the shading looks 'inverted' - or different as one would expect. All that means is that all airspace outside of this area is Class E down to 1200 and G below that.

brown for low altitude enroute IFR; blue for sectionals. There is also the hatched blue lines on sectionals for areas where Class G goes up to a specific altitude.

go to www.skyvector.com. Input C08 (that's a zero). When the chart loads:

There is a pretty large stretch of G to 14,500 depicted along the mountains to the west. Silver West itself is in an area where Class G goes up to 13,700.

For extra credit (someone pointed this out to me last week - now it's my new favorite airspace trivia question), there are points along the mountains to the west of C08 where class G goes =higher= than 14,500. What are they?

Where the ground level is above 13800. Then class G would be above 14500 because the class E is not below 700 agl (no airport around at those altitudes in the US). Just a guess as I don't have a sectional handy.

Where the ground level is above 13800. Then class G would be above 14500 because the class E is not below 700 agl (no airport around at those altitudes in the US). Just a guess as I don't have a sectional handy.
Pretty good guess. Yep, there's a certain amount of Class G that exists within a certain number of feet above the ground even when we get to the 14,500' continental Class E level. The part I didn't know until recently was that it's 1500 AGL. (FAR 71.71(a)) So, with that 13,800 terrain, Class G would go up to 15,300 msl.

Latest resources

Back