CL300 Sets speed record

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Definitly Maybe

With his inferior knowledge of the product, lack of passion for its performance, whining about forward galleys, and immediate replies when the brand name is taken in vain, I'd say, nooooo, GV's never been near the place. ;)

Another thread I've completely enjoyed. Thanks to all.

You're kinda missing the point, GV. The "speed record" aspect of the flight was secondary. It was done to show the real-world operational capabilities of the airplane. It took off fully loaded, in the wrong direction, they flew at sub-optimal altitudes, and flew the route at MMo, landing with *plenty* of gas. No sweat!

It did with ease and comfort what the marketing targets can't do at all.

Last edited:
flexlrpilot357 said:
You're kinda missing the point, GV. The "speed record" aspect of the flight was secondary. It was done to show the real-world operational capabilities of the airplane. It took off fully loaded, in the wrong direction, they flew at sub-optimal altitudes, and flew the route at MMo, landing with *plenty* of gas. No sweat!

It did with ease and comfort what the marketing targets can't do at all.
No, I kinda got it. This is from my post #33 in this thread:

Capt_Zman said:
With all things considered, there was no comparison between the CL300 and the X or G200, especially at 17mil a pop.
GVFlyer said:
Yes, it's an amazing airplane at it's price. The G200 has the edge on speed and range and a slightly larger cabin, but it costs $4 million more. The Citation X is more price competitive at $19.26 million and quick (2978 nm @ M.0.85; 3098 nm @ M 0.82), but the cabin is small: 23'6" L X 5'8" H X 5'6" W.

I think Flex Jet is going to sell a lot of CL300's. If entry into service goes smoothly it will be a great "Continental" aircraft.

GV

By the way, they flew in the right direction if they were looking for a tailwind, and they found one. Average tailwind for the CL300's record flight was 47 knots. I suspect that FL410 was a compromise altitude; FL370 would have probably offered better winds, but may have presented fuel concerns.

GV

By "wrong direction", I meant they took off in the direction with the 297 ft. displaced threshold - runway 6. 4600' was plenty for the mission.

Last edited:
(are we talking 8 highschool cheerleaders or 8 NFL linebackers?)

I'd want to take the 8 high school cheerleaders personally...

flexlrpilot357 said:
By "wrong direction", I meant they took off in the direction with the 297 ft. displaced threshold - runway 6. 4600' was plenty for the mission.

If I were doing the flight, that's the direction I would take-off as well - runway 06 is pointed at Bangor. It can take time to get turned around and headed toward your destination if you depart Rwy 24 and those minutes count against you on a record run.

GV

Yes, but it was still the shorter runway. I'm sure you see my point, GV.

flexlrpilot357 said:
Yes, but it was still the shorter runway. I'm sure you see my point, GV.
Yep, sure do. However, I still think that the most impressive thing about the CL300 is it's price point; at $17.85 million it is millions less than other similar mid-size cabin aircraft such as the G200, the Falcon50EX, the Citation X, the Falcon 2000 and the Horizon.

GV

Latest resources

Back