CL300 Sets speed record

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FraxJockey

DALLAS, Nov. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- In an impressive display of its true coast-to-coast range, the new Bombardier Challenger 300 -- one of the best- selling aircraft in the Bombardier Flexjet fractional jet ownership fleet -- set a world speed record today for this class of aircraft on a trip from Carlsbad, Calif., to Bangor, Maine.

The Bombardier Challenger 300 aircraft departed the 4,897-foot (1,493 m) runway, 4,600-foot (1,402 m) usable length, in Carlsbad at 7:58 AM PST with two Bombardier Flexjet pilots, eight passengers and their baggage. The average tail wind during the flight was 47 knots and the temperature at take off was 61 degrees Fahrenheit (16 degrees Celsius).

The aircraft arrived at Bangor International Airport four hours and 41 minutes after cruising at an average speed of 572 mph (921 km/h) at a maximum cruising level of 41,000 feet (12,497 m), landing with full fuel reserves and establishing a new record for this 2,712 statue mile (4,365 km) route.

The speed record has been certified by the National Aeronautic Association (NAA) and ratification is now pending from the Federation Aeronautique Internationale (FAI).

DALLAS, Nov. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- In an impressive display of its true coast-to-coast range, the new Bombardier Challenger 300 -- one of the best- selling aircraft in the Bombardier Flexjet fractional jet ownership fleet -- set a world speed record today for this class of aircraft on a trip from Carlsbad, Calif., to Bangor, Maine.

The Bombardier Challenger 300 aircraft departed the 4,897-foot (1,493 m) runway, 4,600-foot (1,402 m) usable length, in Carlsbad at 7:58 AM PST with two Bombardier Flexjet pilots, eight passengers and their baggage. The average tail wind during the flight was 47 knots and the temperature at take off was 61 degrees Fahrenheit (16 degrees Celsius).

The aircraft arrived at Bangor International Airport four hours and 41 minutes after cruising at an average speed of 572 mph (921 km/h) at a maximum cruising level of 41,000 feet (12,497 m), landing with full fuel reserves and establishing a new record for this 2,712 statue mile (4,365 km) route.

The speed record has been certified by the National Aeronautic Association (NAA) and ratification is now pending from the Federation Aeronautique Internationale (FAI).

Was there already a record established between those points?

cool. Was it you?!

I talked to a flex crew a few weeks back. they were in a lear but one had a good friend on the -300 and he kept saying how much his buddly loved it. What's it take to get on that aircraft? Is it a seniority/bid system?

is there a website that has records for routes listed? Can you submit a record attempt on your own? What makes it official?

Wtf?

Out of a 4600 foot runway going uphill with 8 pax ...yeah big deal. How much gas can a X take out of 4600' runway with 8 pax?

Wasn't me. The amazing thing was that they did it out of the short runway at CRQ (4600')...the one that goes uphill. It set a record for that particular class of jet. The only thing that I am aware that could beat it would be a Global Express, but then that would be in another class of jet ...apples to oranges. My understanding is that after this next batch of FO's they will be hiring off the street for the CL300.

FraxJockey said:
...The amazing thing was that they did it out of the short runway at CRQ (4600')...the one that goes uphill. It set a record for that particular class of jet. The only thing that I am aware that could beat it would be a Global Express, but then that would be in another class of jet ...apples to oranges...

Don't forget the Gulfstream. With the same conditions in the G550, I can take off from Carlsbad, be at Banger 04:16 later and have sufficient fuel remaining to continue to London, England. But, as you say we are different classes.

GV

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back