• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CL-65 to CL-604,601

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
After retiring in fall of 2004 from CMR I went a year without doing anything. I decided to get recurrent in the CL65. Doing this to move some RJs around the country and be qualified to get a job overseas.

I found that Bombardier offered recurrent for about $5500 vs FSI and Simuflite at astronomical prices. Nonreved to YUL and spent a week there doing self directed ground school (computer) and FTD and sims sessions. In addition got differences training in the 70 and 90 seat aircraft. Took a 4 hour oral and check ride from a business jet (604/5) check airman (longest check ride in my aviation career).

Went back home and did some RJ moving (for Mesa and that is a long story) and as a result of being current did some Challenger 600/601 copilot work for the next two years.

In the mean time was offered and turned down jobs in the middle east and Africa (lagos) most because of the cost benefit ratio wasn't good enough. Not withstanding my wife saying no not no but hell no.

So now since I'm not current anymore (captain or FO) and the Challenger operators have reduced their flying to the point the Chief(s) are wonder about their job future. So they are not interested in getting me current in the right seat which would require FSI, Simuflite or some outfit that their insurance company approves and costs a ton.

I'm now, unless something drastically changes, copilot on a Cessna 172 and answering to the Chief Pilot, my better half.

I don't know if Bombardier still offers Recurrent the CL65 but I would call them because they have all the resources including using CAE's sims.

PM me if you want to get contact info.

"Thanks so much for the reply. Sometimes it's just frustrating-- you have all this CRJ PIC time (i know I'm not alone in thinking this)..which doesn't seem to be worth d*ck when it comes to a corporate jet which looks identical to the CRJ. "

No Offense, but as far as "flying" your CRJ in a 121 Environment from ATL to SAV and back twice a day where everything from WX to fuel planning to flight planning are 100% handled by somebody else and passenger customer service, there are passengers back there?, are of minimal importance. Couldn't have less to do with flying a Cl604 conducting international operations with high maintenance passengers with constantly changing schedules where you and your co-pilot are tasked with handling EVERYTHING.
121 and 91 and mission type are the biggest differences between the RJ and the CL604 Any monkey can be trained to "fly" the airplane. Its making the "show run" so to speak that is the big difference between the two aircraft.
And BTW simply having a CL604 type isn't going to do much for you anyway. We're back to the old 250 hour pilot "paying" for training argument here.

No Offense, but as far as "flying" your CRJ in a 121 Environment from ATL to SAV and back twice a day where everything from WX to fuel planning to flight planning are 100% handled by somebody else and passenger customer service, there are passengers back there?, are of minimal importance. Couldn't have less to do with flying a Cl604 conducting international operations with high maintenance passengers with constantly changing schedules where you and your co-pilot are tasked with handling EVERYTHING.
121 and 91 and mission type are the biggest differences between the RJ and the CL604 Any monkey can be trained to "fly" the airplane. Its making the "show run" so to speak that is the big difference between the two aircraft.
And BTW simply having a CL604 type isn't going to do much for you anyway. We're back to the old 250 hour pilot "paying" for training argument here.

Bingo!

:pimp:

Latest resources

Back