CJC ALPA's response to the 18 hour memo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

The 18 hour duty day was in Kenya, so unless you are flying here it doesn't matter. Africa is a LOT different than the US (109 PAX and a crew of 7 in a DC-9-xx with about 104 PAX seats!!!).

I WAS tired, but decided to finish the trip (which would've been legal in the states, under many airline's and FSDO's opinions, because the trip was originally scheduled legally, which is what I was talking about, the "Legal to Start, Legal to Finish" idea whis is wrong, but accepted by many FSDOs and FAA regional offices), because it was better for me to finish the trip than go to the hotel where we were.

Additionally, I was MUCH LESS TIRED than I had been while working for a US carrier. I had done NUMEROUS trips in the US, where I was called out, just as I went to sleep, after being on call for extended time periods (as long as 240 hours), to do a 14 hour or 18 hour or 25 hour overnight trip, all legal according to my airline, the local FSDO, and the local FAA regional office. It was of course, against the FAA legal interpretations, but my airline, the local FSDO, and the FAA local regional office don't give a crap about what FAA HQ says, and FAA HQ doesn't give a crap what their regional offices and FSDOs do, as long as they don't here anything negative from any press or powerful politicial figures.

cliff
NBO

I think 16 hours is too long to begin with. 18 is insane and I would not sign the release if Jesus and the rest of the holy family came out of a cloud and asked for a ride back to Newark. I'm done with it. I can't wait till September.

Trust me when I told my company that I'm dialing the local FSDO and registering a complaint regarding being threatened for calling off fatigued the tone changed real quick. DON'T do it. Its "YOUR" call PERIOD. Don't ever let some 23 year old revolving door employee push you into something you have spent far more energy and life committing to than their 10.00hr job in scheduling. It is your right and duty to determine when "you" want to stop.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back