• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Huggyu2

Live to fly; fly to live
Which would you choose and why?
If you own one, but would really prefer the other, mention that too.

The cj6 is an older airframe with lower horsepower but has a cleaner airframe and is more economical..

$ 4 $ the 52 is a better choice as you will be able to buy a pretty new aircraft.

Plus the m14 is a great motor and lots of parts available..

Plus you can bump it to 420 hp pretty easily..

If you have some more $$ burning a hole in your pocket the yak 52tw is the way to go

Hug,

Since you show that you have some type of Military background I will assume that you would like to do a little "turning and burning" in the airplane. Having done quite a bit of it in the CJ and a couple of times in a Yak (stock 52) the CJ will turn inside the Yak ALL day long. The Yak is so dirty it will p1ss away any energy at the first turn and NEVER get it back in a turning fight with a CJ. Flying wise, about the only thing the Yak will do better is roll.

Having said all that...the Yak52TW is another animal!! Unfortunately, so is the price tag...

A-4s Forever

Huggy,

The CJ is a nice airplane but cannot stick with the Yak product in acro. It is faster with less horses because it is a whole lot cleaner. They are a bit roomier...but more money. They are a good flying airplane!

Now the Yak is a tank! I own a Yak-50 and have unlimited access to the Yak-52. If you want one seat and pure unadulterated fun, you cannot touch the Yak-50. It is simply balls out fun! The -52 is a great airplane and shares tons of parts with the -50. Easily maintained and built like a tractor. Solid as hell!

Both are great airplanes and you cannot wrong with either. You want comfort, speed, lower fuel burn and some light acro..the CJ is the weapon of choice.

Do you want power, great acro, higher fuel burn, better parts availability, more mods, and cheaper up front cost...a -52 is the way to go.

You want a mans airplane...a -50..hands down! Lots of military owners...many of them fighter pukes that like to fight their little birds.

You could also look at the 52W which is a 52 with some nice mods like more gas, 3-blade prop, avionics...I know of one that just hit the market 110K.

Stay away from the -52TW. They may look nice but they are not of the same quality as the -52 with the training wheel. Not worth the money....

I know guys that sell all of them...I can also tell you who to stay away from.

Worked on both. Flown both. I'd have to agree with all the postings above. CJ is sexier, but I like tanks and tractors better.

Let us know how it works out!

Ronin

The 52 has a better feel to it and thrust to weight is better. But if you like a slower easier to land then go cj-6....

Latest resources

Back