Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Civilian operation of ex military fighter jets.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TEXAN AVIATOR

Bewbies
I have a question, kinda far fetched... Ok lets say you somehow purchase an F14, another countries ex fighter jet, or something along those lines. Is there any stipulations as to how, whenm or where it has to be operated? Just kinda came up in general conversation and got me wondering... As long as you're appropriately rated and typed I see no problem with it.

Jet warbirds

A friend became part-owner of an old MiG (-17 or -19, I think). The only strange requirement he mentioned was that the ejection seat had to be disabled. No idea why.

Ejection seats are tremendously expensive and hard to keep up. There are only a few people that can service Martin-Baker seats in the US and I doubt many more that could handle a foreign made seat.

To operate a warbird of any kind, with a few exceptions, you need the equivalent of a type rating known as an LOA or Letter of Authorization. These are given by people who have LOOA's or Letters of Operation Authority.

This is because most warbirds do not have type certificates, there are exceptions like the B-25.

The Lockheed L-1049 Constellation has a type certificate, therefore you can get a type rating, but to fly a C-121 you need an LOA.

The original people (military) that flew ...say the F-14 that you just bought, went through a LOT of training to learn how to fly it. Where does the civilian buyer get trained to fly his new toy? Do you need an FAA Checkride? When you take your BFR, who signs you off?...Maybe that 24 year old CFII at your local flight school???

R. Stephen Ritchie flies the Collings F-4 which is privately owned.

Thanks for the links: I don't think my question was answered however. I am familiar with Collings and in fact saw 3 of their planes in Manchester, NH a few weeks ago. I was inpressed. It was their touring group...in this case, a B-17. a B-24, and a B-25.

There was an elderly gentleman stationed in New Bedford, Mass. who was certified by the FAA to give checkrides to individuals.. or crews, for recertification...OR whatever.. in ROUND Engine planes.... From Catalinas to whatever. His resume was IMPRESSIVE. I was on hand when a Museum, based in Long Island, NY sent their B-25 pilots, and their plane up to New Bedford to be recertified.

I think an F-14 is a different animal. Do you agree?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back