Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Civilian operation of ex military fighter jets.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The DoD is on a Jihad against anyone in the private sector who owns any part of an F-14. They are very concerned that no F-14 part find its way to Iran.

I did see a web page ad a few years ago from a restorer who claimed to have an EF-111 that could be made airworthy. If I had the ten million dollars he wanted I might have taken him up on it.

But since the EF-111 used the same basic motor as the F-14 I doubt if Uncle Sam would have let me fly it.

There's a F-111 sitting on the field at Ontario, OR. It won't fly again; I was told it's the only F-111 in private hands.

The FAA started issuing type ratings in lieu of LOA's.
Sort of, but not exactly. Most of these aircraft are not eligible for "type rating". Instead, on the back of your pilot certificate, it will state "Authorized Experiemental Aircraft", and it will list them. Your "typed" aircraft will be listed separately.

The LOOA is gone too. There are warbird DE's that can issue you your rating: this is a very limited and controlled group of folks. Instructors for these aircraft get a separate certificate that says "Authorized Aircraft Instructor" and lists the experimental aircraft you can instruct in on the back. It is a different certificate than your CFI certificate.

Last edited:
I think an F-14 is a different animal. Do you agree?

Same animal as the F-4 as far as the government is concerned or any other non-demilled modern combat aircraft. Per my response in your other thread on the same topic, Congress had to write an amendment to a law in order to allow them to have the F-4.

You would get the same sort of "Authorized Experimental" for an F-14, getting the government to allow you to have one is going to be the issue one would have to confront.

Same animal as the F-4 as far as the government is concerned or any other non-demilled modern combat aircraft. Per my response in your other thread on the same topic, Congress had to write an amendment to a law in order to allow them to have the F-4.

You would get the same sort of "Authorized Experimental" for an F-14, getting the government to allow you to have one is going to be the issue one would have to confront.

My only point was that the F-14 was a different animal from the old ROUND Engine planes from WWII. I understand your point that the Government is reluctant to release "Old" jets which may have technology that may be a bit "TOO" recent.

Cannot speak to the F14 but one of my previous employeers operates a F5B along with an Alpha Jet. A couple of years ago the owner was working on the purchase of a MIG 29 and we did some preliminary work looking for a pilot with previous MIG 29 experience. Had little trouble finding just the right person should the deal have gone through. Former USAF instructor in the MIG while on exchange duty with the German Air Force.

As for the hot seat issue, the costs were high but not as high as the costs if you could not eject should the occasion require. Both aircraft have hot seats!

My only point was that the F-14 was a different animal from the old ROUND Engine planes from WWII.

I never suggested they were the same nor mentioned them. I mentioned the F-4 Phantom which they own which is somewhere in the league I would think of an F-14. It certainly doesn't have old ROUND engines.

I never suggested they were the same nor mentioned them. I mentioned the F-4 Phantom which they own which is somewhere in the league I would think of an F-14. It certainly doesn't have old ROUND engines.
;) Are they square? They are about as round as they can get!:rolleyes:

There's a F-111 sitting on the field at Ontario, OR. It won't fly again; I was told it's the only F-111 in private hands.

There was a largely intact EF-111 airframe in a salvage yard at Mohave a while back. I suspect its beer cans now though.

Latest resources

Back