• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

barnyard

F Caravans
Hello Anyone-

Can anyone offer .02 to a civilian guy looking to volunteer to fly for the Guard?

Do they hire putz's like me with no military experience?

Can I stay at my company and fly for them on weekends / certain months of the year?

Is there absolutely no chance for me with no refrences in the military?

Thanks
Barn

There's a good listing of ANG/AFRes units looking for people on www.baseops. net. Although you may not fit the profile they are looking (on this site), you can get the idea of who is looking for people. Most units like to hire from within, so you might need to enlist first. Some units take people off of the streets. It depends on the unit. It seems like fighter slots are more difficult to come by then, say C-130s or KC-135s.
You have as of a good chance as the next guy/girl. Just like any job, you need to sell yourself to the unit. Most units are looking to see if you fit their billet.
I would first start by deciding where you are willing to move to and what type of aircraft you want to fly. If you know someone in the guard/reserve, have them take you in to meet the DO (Director of Operations) or the squadron commander. It helps to be a local dude, so if there happens to be a guard/reserve unit near by, check them out. Hanging out and showing interest is key to getting your foot in the door. You can opt to talk to a recruiter but don't hold your breath; they like to get people to enlist. Go on the "Military" site on this board and do search. You'll find good info there.
Any other thoughts from guard/reserve dudes and dudettes?

Try scrolling up up to the Aviation Message Board portion of this esteemed website and view the "Military" section. The folks on it are pretty switched on and you can search on it for better info. It has a lot more info than this "Military Transition" section---which has usually been for folks getting out of the military and into civilian side of the house. That being said, Ih8AFyesmen starts you off in the right direction...good luck.

Latest resources

Back